Grocery shopping -anyone else?

I currently do 99% of my grocery shopping online. My stepdaughter is talking about shopping in store more. With online shopping there are various links to click to get to different sections and then choose. I have something of a set pattern of doing things which works for me.

However in store shopping is something I struggle with. I am bad at organising myself to get what I need. I struggle to make shopping lists , and tend to shop haphazardly . I think this is to do with executive functioning difficulties.

I wondered whether this was a problem for anyone else. How are you at in store grocery shopping?

Parents
  • I haven't gone through diagnosis of being on the ASD spectrum.  However, I can not cope with going shopping in supermarkets unless I plan meticulously in my head the night before, what I need such as ingredients for making and decorating a cake.  If one piece of the ingredients isn't supplied, the whole thing falls apart for me.  I can't do grocery shopping very well, I get overwhelmed with choice and then end up choosing nothing or choosing stuff we don't need.  I can't cope with lots of people and trollies, I can feel my temper rising.  I can't stand waiting in line, especially if I think the customer in front is talking to much to the till person.  The amount of times I've filled up a shopping basket with stuff, then halfway round supermarket completely changed my mind and emptied the whole of the basket, to then fill it up with crap.  I get very stressed very quickly in all shopping situations, including clothes shopping.  My cheeks and neck go red.  But I am happy to shop online, I could do that all day every day.  But I suppose that would come under doing activities on my own

• I haven't gone through diagnosis of being on the ASD spectrum.  However, I can not cope with going shopping in supermarkets unless I plan meticulously in my head the night before, what I need such as ingredients for making and decorating a cake.  If one piece of the ingredients isn't supplied, the whole thing falls apart for me.  I can't do grocery shopping very well, I get overwhelmed with choice and then end up choosing nothing or choosing stuff we don't need.  I can't cope with lots of people and trollies, I can feel my temper rising.  I can't stand waiting in line, especially if I think the customer in front is talking to much to the till person.  The amount of times I've filled up a shopping basket with stuff, then halfway round supermarket completely changed my mind and emptied the whole of the basket, to then fill it up with crap.  I get very stressed very quickly in all shopping situations, including clothes shopping.  My cheeks and neck go red.  But I am happy to shop online, I could do that all day every day.  But I suppose that would come under doing activities on my own

Children
No Data