Grocery shopping -anyone else?

I currently do 99% of my grocery shopping online. My stepdaughter is talking about shopping in store more. With online shopping there are various links to click to get to different sections and then choose. I have something of a set pattern of doing things which works for me.

However in store shopping is something I struggle with. I am bad at organising myself to get what I need. I struggle to make shopping lists , and tend to shop haphazardly . I think this is to do with executive functioning difficulties.

I wondered whether this was a problem for anyone else. How are you at in store grocery shopping?

Parents
  • I'm just wondering (as I do) what the other 1% shopping was for...

I tend to do most of my shopping on line. But there are problems. Buying a single item online is great as you can home in on specifics, and also make easy comparisons of quality and cost. But food shopping is more tricky as there are so many more items. It's true you can just pick your usual items, but then you might fail to see new items in stock. I tend to do most food shopping on-line, but once a month I will go to the store (early morning and mid-week) and do a research shop. On such trips I always self-scan. 

I hate all stores, especially food supermarkets. They can actually make me feel ill after 20 mins. It's worth remembering that supermarkets are not laid out for the comfort and ease of shoppers. They are laid out to maximise the spend by customers. I think you will find quite a few people don't like them for that reason. If you shop online regularly for food it's worth getting a delivery pass, which can save you a lot of money. Don't opt for auto-renewal, and when it runs out don't shop at that store for a week. They will normally send you a discount voucher for the next pass. Got mine yesterday from Sainsbury.

And remember - shopping was invented by people who just want what's in your back pocket.

• Hi InMyHead (great name by the way)

I do the online shop as I like to know that I have everything planned for the week and I don't get the stress of those horrible supermarkets.  Also, will online shops you get to know the delivery people and theirs shifts so you can also get that familiarity - which helps.

I like your idea of stealth research trips!! - and glad you're wish to the supermarket owners wiley ways....

as I type my OH has gone off to the supermarket with a list from me....but I am sure that he will come back with more than we need/want....... :)

• Hi InMyHead (great name by the way)

I do the online shop as I like to know that I have everything planned for the week and I don't get the stress of those horrible supermarkets.  Also, will online shops you get to know the delivery people and theirs shifts so you can also get that familiarity - which helps.

I like your idea of stealth research trips!! - and glad you're wish to the supermarket owners wiley ways....

as I type my OH has gone off to the supermarket with a list from me....but I am sure that he will come back with more than we need/want....... :)

Children