Back pain

Hi

i have some form of instability in my back that the doctors can't get to the bottom of, but the net result is back pain that painkillers don't deal with and it disturbs my sleep every single night. Having just read a couple of other posts and wondering for a while now about the possibility of some form of co-morbidity between autism and back issues, I thought I would just do a quick straw poll to find out how wide spread the issue is.

Thanks 

Andrew

Parents
  • Hi Andrew, this is definitely the case for me. I've struggled with poor posture and joint pain for about 9 years. It started with wrist pain whilst i was studying and the GP said it was RSI from too much typing. Was advised to rest and take painkillers, but this made no difference. Then my ankles started playing up and now my lower back is the same. I have weakness, pain, stinging/burning, and clicking in and out of place. I tried two physios years ago, one said i needed to exercise more to build up my muscles and the other said my joints were just too far apart. Wasn't sure what to make of that at the time. After a lot of research i recently read about Hypermobility. I'd previously discounted this as a possibility because i'm not typically bendy. For example, i can't touch my toes. However, as with some of the other people in this thread, my knees bend the wrong way etc. I have terrible body awareness and am rather clumsy and also struggle with IBS. So that is all starting to make sense. Sitting for too long makes my back worse, so i try to walk around as much as i can and lie on the floor to re-align. I've tried all kinds of things (cushions, supports, heat/cold etc) but not a lot helps. Currently, i'm trying to do exercises to improve my proprioception, balance etc. I find swimming helps with flare-ups, as the water can take your weight but it still gets you moving. Hope some of that is useful to you. And thanks for raising this issue!

• Hi Andrew, this is definitely the case for me. I've struggled with poor posture and joint pain for about 9 years. It started with wrist pain whilst i was studying and the GP said it was RSI from too much typing. Was advised to rest and take painkillers, but this made no difference. Then my ankles started playing up and now my lower back is the same. I have weakness, pain, stinging/burning, and clicking in and out of place. I tried two physios years ago, one said i needed to exercise more to build up my muscles and the other said my joints were just too far apart. Wasn't sure what to make of that at the time. After a lot of research i recently read about Hypermobility. I'd previously discounted this as a possibility because i'm not typically bendy. For example, i can't touch my toes. However, as with some of the other people in this thread, my knees bend the wrong way etc. I have terrible body awareness and am rather clumsy and also struggle with IBS. So that is all starting to make sense. Sitting for too long makes my back worse, so i try to walk around as much as i can and lie on the floor to re-align. I've tried all kinds of things (cushions, supports, heat/cold etc) but not a lot helps. Currently, i'm trying to do exercises to improve my proprioception, balance etc. I find swimming helps with flare-ups, as the water can take your weight but it still gets you moving. Hope some of that is useful to you. And thanks for raising this issue!

Children
No Data