Back pain

Hi

i have some form of instability in my back that the doctors can't get to the bottom of, but the net result is back pain that painkillers don't deal with and it disturbs my sleep every single night. Having just read a couple of other posts and wondering for a while now about the possibility of some form of co-morbidity between autism and back issues, I thought I would just do a quick straw poll to find out how wide spread the issue is.

Thanks 

Andrew

Parents
  • Hi Andrew,

Interesting question and something I have been pondering too recently.

I have hypermobility which causes me problems in my lower back and right hip. I've had back problems since my early 20s (I'm almost 52 now) but always put this down to carrying TVs for a living from age 16. I've also been playing electric guitar in bands since my mid teens which isn't good for your back either. I have been seeing osteopaths on and off for 15 years but they only manage things and just lately that hasn't been working either so I went through the NHS and got x-rays and MRI scans but all they could find were minor problems that were kind of to be expected at my age. The pain I experience is nearly always present at some level, when its bad it keeps me awake at night and has meant I'm not currently able to function as a guitarist in a band situation.

I'm currently being assessed for ASD... the process is dragging but that's another story... but having read Laura James excellent book Odd Girl Out I am now wondering if I have Ehlers Danlos too albeit at a milder level than Laura describes in her book.

I too bought a new mattress a couple of months ago and that has helped quite a bit... and yes pillow height has always been crucial for me to get right.

• How very interesting and the exact reason I started this thread as there does seem to be a loose connection. Do uoufind your pain is never fully reduced by pain killers?

Reply Children