Meditation

I have only found two ways of giving my brain a rest: sitting in a very quiet spot and meditating. The former is becoming increasingly difficult to find with the ever-increasing noise from society.

I can meditate almost anywhere but my problem is that is am not very good at setting aside time to meditate. All to often there are numerous things pulling me away from meditating and making me too tired to meditate.

I do experience moments of mindfulness (for example when I write with one of my fountain pens and watch the ink glisten as it dries or listening to leaves fall to the ground). Whilst these moments are welcome they are not as good as meditating.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can ensure regular meditation, please? Thank you.

Parents
  • caretwo said:

Does anyone have any tips on how I can ensure regular meditation, please? Thank you.

Any intentional focusing of the mind on something or the other in particular is a meditation, so recognising you are doing that much regularly is important as a contrast, and involving states of conscious and consciousness itself are more involved variants of meditation.

In terms of establishing a regular pattern of meditation, make time for it as a fixed part of your schedule, even if you fall asleep, providing you wish to follow it as a more serious discipline. Mediate for say twenty minutes at a time, resist falling asleep and keep an alarm set ready to wake you up if you are two tired to remain focused. If you feel yourself slipping off in to slumber whilst resisting it ~ end the meditation there and then, and consider doing as such to be an achievement of great value. Build up your psychological stamina rather than overworking it, or burning it out.

As far as the noise of the external environment goes, listen instead more to the soundings of your internal environment, such as your heartbeat and breathing to begin with. Closing your ears off with your finger tips is a good means by which to get going with this, and as your ability to tune in develops, you can learn to tune out the outer racket to become a subtle back-ground state of affairs, rather than have it be an intrusive distraction or disruption to your meditational process ~ you may as such be able to make it a productive part of it.

Learn not to react to external noises that are not important during the meditation period, focus on deep pelvic breathing instead. Crossing your ankles, calves or legs helps also to create a semipermeable field around you to provide an insulation of sorts from the external environment. Most people do this in social situations that are engrossing for this reason, particularly when sat.     

• Something I recently read from and Aspie and her partner is to plan events to put in place windows of time when you can be "off grid" and have a space to get some peace and reorientate yourself 

• ElephantInTheRoom said:

Something I recently read from and Aspie and her partner is to plan events to put in place windows of time when you can be "off grid" and have a space to get some peace and reorientate yourself 

I have a very established activity schedule in this respect, as I rather prefer not getting excessively exhausted, and controlled zoning in by way of mediation has allowed me to deal with the external environment more efficiently. So I very much agree with this going "off-grid" information.

• ElephantInTheRoom said:

Something I recently read from and Aspie and her partner is to plan events to put in place windows of time when you can be "off grid" and have a space to get some peace and reorientate yourself 

I have a very established activity schedule in this respect, as I rather prefer not getting excessively exhausted, and controlled zoning in by way of mediation has allowed me to deal with the external environment more efficiently. So I very much agree with this going "off-grid" information.

Children
No Data