Meditation

I have only found two ways of giving my brain a rest: sitting in a very quiet spot and meditating. The former is becoming increasingly difficult to find with the ever-increasing noise from society.

I can meditate almost anywhere but my problem is that is am not very good at setting aside time to meditate. All to often there are numerous things pulling me away from meditating and making me too tired to meditate.

I do experience moments of mindfulness (for example when I write with one of my fountain pens and watch the ink glisten as it dries or listening to leaves fall to the ground). Whilst these moments are welcome they are not as good as meditating.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can ensure regular meditation, please? Thank you.

Parents
  • I meditate every night in bed as I fall asleep and most afternoons after lunch I switch off all distractions and have a snooze in my favourite chair and contemplate the inside of my eyelids. Not hardcore meditation I accept but it works for me.

I spent a weekend at a Tibetan Monastery (Sameye Ling) once and attended meditation sessions in the temple. I found the distractions of the monks and the clanging of bowls etc too intrusive and I did not feel I had achieved anything worthwhile. I am sure they do however.

• I do pretty much the same.  If I wake in the middle of the night with 'washing-machine' head - thinking about all the things I've got to do, etc - I reach a place where I just stop, shut it off, and imagine what I learnt in mindfulness classes.  I put myself by a gently-flowing river, and see my thoughts as leaves washing away on the current.  Works every time.  It also reduces anxiety.

I went to a Buddhist group locally a couple of times - but I actually found the group chanting distinctly unsettling.  I need peace!

• I do pretty much the same.  If I wake in the middle of the night with 'washing-machine' head - thinking about all the things I've got to do, etc - I reach a place where I just stop, shut it off, and imagine what I learnt in mindfulness classes.  I put myself by a gently-flowing river, and see my thoughts as leaves washing away on the current.  Works every time.  It also reduces anxiety.

I went to a Buddhist group locally a couple of times - but I actually found the group chanting distinctly unsettling.  I need peace!

Children
  • Same here.  The idea that each of us has all of these elements as a part of us - anger, jealousy, selfishness, etc., and that we can - through conscious effort and spiritual exercise - reach above them and obtain mastery over them... that seems like an entirely true and realistic approach.  It's helped me, even though I don't adhere to the religion itself.  It's basic spirituality. Slight smile

• Buddism is the only religion I have been attracted by Tom. The core principles make sense to me.

Where I came unstuck was at the chapter on reincarnation in The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.

Like all religions you have to suspend logical science and believe in the supernatural to believe.

I find it interesting that it is those of us who search for answers to the meaning of life who eventually have to accept we are not the same as most people.

It is good you have decided to stick with the forum bye the way. I always appreciate your input. Thanks for that, Laddie.