That Friday Brain Feeling

Its Friday.

Finally!
After a long working week, spent combining fitting into the NT office environment, smiling appropriately when people make jokes and managing to not say the things my brain lets slip, my brain is empty.

On a good week its not so bad - I can continue with intelligent conversation through the weekend, but a week like this, which has also had me doing some very challenging data analysis has drained me completely.

I like analysing data, looking for patterns etc. It's like feeding a monster something to prevent it from eating people. In my case, keeping my brain busy means it doesnt spend all the time overanalysing everything in my life. However, this week I have been analysing data, and then having to explain my process and logic to people who do not think like me, which is not easy. In fact it took longer to explain than to do the work, and I find it very challenging to explain things I find simple to people who do not understand. Its hard to be patient, especially when I know its right, and I could be doing something more valuable than explaining.

How do other people cope with brain exhaustion? All suggestions welcome!

Parents
  • I used to cycle fair distances (80 - 130 miles daily) whenever opportunity would arise ; rest of the time 24 miles work commute. This really helped the brain to keep its pressure to a certain limit. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the bike for months now due to health issues, and, - perhaps as a matter of consequence -, the old demons started to reappear...

My new job involves a lot of social interaction and it can be quite daunting to almost constantly trying to observe, mimic and sometimes reaching unnecessary levels of concentration in order to reproduce basic human reactions and behaviours when confronted to the individuals I'm working with. That being said, I am receiving good support from my employer since I revealed I have Asperger's. Fingers crossed, hope the health shall improve and soon being able to cycle again... 

• I used to cycle fair distances (80 - 130 miles daily) whenever opportunity would arise ; rest of the time 24 miles work commute. This really helped the brain to keep its pressure to a certain limit. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the bike for months now due to health issues, and, - perhaps as a matter of consequence -, the old demons started to reappear...

My new job involves a lot of social interaction and it can be quite daunting to almost constantly trying to observe, mimic and sometimes reaching unnecessary levels of concentration in order to reproduce basic human reactions and behaviours when confronted to the individuals I'm working with. That being said, I am receiving good support from my employer since I revealed I have Asperger's. Fingers crossed, hope the health shall improve and soon being able to cycle again... 

Children
  • I'm with Spotty Tortoise on this one! 80 - 130 miles daily is a long way! I do around 7-8 miles daily on my bicycle commute, and that is a good way of splitting up the work day from the home time day!

I do think more exercise would be a good thing,

I have been looking at an exercise tracker watch for after next payday, as having targets and a log of activity will help motivate me to do more (I hope)

I still dont think i'm going to get near your olympic distances though! 

• I'd say that was more than a fair distance Gadzooks! I've been quite fit at various points in my life, especially when I used to ride a lot of horses (a lot is more than 1 or two a day as far as I'm concerned), none of them mine. I understand that drive for physical tiredness and know it worked back then. I hope you get to be back on your bike soon, or find an alternative.  Food for thought and not happy being the least fit I've ever been. Physical work within whatever our constraints is probably important I think. GuitarBicyclistBicyclist