Deciding whether to get a diagnosis.

Hi everybody, I am not sure which section to post this in. I am currently a mature uni student in Nottingham. I have always thought, responded to and interacted with people differently to most. Until recently I had no idea why this was, but since starting university numerous people have either asked if I am on the autistic spectrum or just assumed that I am. Over the summer holidays I decided to do some proper research into it and talked about it to friends who are on the spectrum. It would be an understatement to say it explains a LOT. From my research it would appear to be aspergers, though online information has been somewhat inconsistent. I think it went unnoticed for a very long time as I have physical health problems that prevented me being able to do much of anything for many years.

Leading to the main question as to whether I should get a diagnosis. I am at this stage about 95% certain that I am on the spectrum, it just explains too many things from difficulties in social interactions, body language to what I used to view as personality quirks. Ultimately if I am on the spectrum it is part of who I am and nothing can change that. I find life very difficult but I am coping so I don’t know if a diagnosis will be of any benefit to me.

However my main concern is that a diagnosis could result in a lot of long term negatives/problems. Partly due to poor understanding or misinterpretation of health problems that exist in the general population. I brought up considering diagnosis with my GP and he said that a diagnosis could limit my ability to access work and could close doors for me as it would have to go on any medical reports. I have friends who think that what the GP has said is completely wrong and think I should try and get a diagnosis. I have found information online to be somewhat inconsistent and incomplete.

It would be really helpful to get some more viewpoints and find out about the personal experiences of others before I decide whether or not to get a diagnosis. Thank you

Parents
  • Hey you!

i'm 42 and been in full time employment since I finished my first degree. I work as a teacher which you'd think wouldn't work with the challenges in communication....but it suits as i am empathic about others, can communicate easily and enthusiastically about my topic area...it is just the office small talk that I can struggle with...so try and put myself in a situation that I can drop in/out of that as I please.

like you I have done lots of research and have only recently spoken to my GP re seeking a diagnostic assessment. I can't at present see what additional benefits if would bring about from validating my own research about what makes me tick...but it would allow me to request adjustments at work......

at present I am wearing the label and the more that I talk to the lovely people here the more comfortable I feel with that.

if there is any support an advice you can get from your uni then seize that and do stick around here!

• Hey ElephantInTheRoom you remind me of one of my A-Level teachers, since doing research into the spectrum I realised that she may have been on the spectrum based on how she acted and interacted with people. It is a shame I have no way of contacting her. She had a very unconventional way of teaching that was amazingly effective.

Is being able to communicate easily something you have learned or something that comes naturally?

Do people respond strangely/negatively when you don’t get involved in their small talk?

• Hey ElephantInTheRoom you remind me of one of my A-Level teachers, since doing research into the spectrum I realised that she may have been on the spectrum based on how she acted and interacted with people. It is a shame I have no way of contacting her. She had a very unconventional way of teaching that was amazingly effective.

Is being able to communicate easily something you have learned or something that comes naturally?

Do people respond strangely/negatively when you don’t get involved in their small talk?

Children
  • Teaching helps as it is a piece of theatre and you the teacher are the actor. Teaching is a performance art and you have already planned your teaching script and can predict the questions (to a certain extent) that your students will ask you.  You also have the safety net of your knowledge of your subject...it becomes a communication of knowledge so in that respect it feels much safer that trying to make small talk.

Small talk I find difficult...I am happy to drop in and out of group conversations but if it is a 1-2-1 situation I can find it a challenge...a) in terms of trying to predict where the conversation is going. b) working out if I have given the right answers and .c) over analysis the motivation behind the questions that they are asking....

i am not sure how people respond to this. Sometimes I can be quite bouncy and engaged,,,.other days quiet and "head down"...

i certainly wouldn't say say that I communicate easily....writing us definitely easier than verbal face to face chats though...