Deciding whether to get a diagnosis.

Hi everybody, I am not sure which section to post this in. I am currently a mature uni student in Nottingham. I have always thought, responded to and interacted with people differently to most. Until recently I had no idea why this was, but since starting university numerous people have either asked if I am on the autistic spectrum or just assumed that I am. Over the summer holidays I decided to do some proper research into it and talked about it to friends who are on the spectrum. It would be an understatement to say it explains a LOT. From my research it would appear to be aspergers, though online information has been somewhat inconsistent. I think it went unnoticed for a very long time as I have physical health problems that prevented me being able to do much of anything for many years.

Leading to the main question as to whether I should get a diagnosis. I am at this stage about 95% certain that I am on the spectrum, it just explains too many things from difficulties in social interactions, body language to what I used to view as personality quirks. Ultimately if I am on the spectrum it is part of who I am and nothing can change that. I find life very difficult but I am coping so I don’t know if a diagnosis will be of any benefit to me.

However my main concern is that a diagnosis could result in a lot of long term negatives/problems. Partly due to poor understanding or misinterpretation of health problems that exist in the general population. I brought up considering diagnosis with my GP and he said that a diagnosis could limit my ability to access work and could close doors for me as it would have to go on any medical reports. I have friends who think that what the GP has said is completely wrong and think I should try and get a diagnosis. I have found information online to be somewhat inconsistent and incomplete.

It would be really helpful to get some more viewpoints and find out about the personal experiences of others before I decide whether or not to get a diagnosis. Thank you

Parents
  • Hey you!

i'm 42 and been in full time employment since I finished my first degree. I work as a teacher which you'd think wouldn't work with the challenges in communication....but it suits as i am empathic about others, can communicate easily and enthusiastically about my topic area...it is just the office small talk that I can struggle with...so try and put myself in a situation that I can drop in/out of that as I please.

like you I have done lots of research and have only recently spoken to my GP re seeking a diagnostic assessment. I can't at present see what additional benefits if would bring about from validating my own research about what makes me tick...but it would allow me to request adjustments at work......

at present I am wearing the label and the more that I talk to the lovely people here the more comfortable I feel with that.

if there is any support an advice you can get from your uni then seize that and do stick around here!

• I wish I had a teacher like you.may well have made the difference for me. I ain't that bad though considering lol.i think it all made me more understanding and harder working,A plus.

• One photoshopped certificate on its way to you!  X

Reply Children
  • All fine here, nothing to see....still waving!

• Well that was cryptic! The diplodocus can be useful... I'm more of an timid anarchist.....just a matter of time that they find out! Good job that this conversation is top secret! Shhhhhh!

find the hook, cherish the child, and take them to where they NEED to be!

have you arrived at where you want to be Warrior!

• Ah bless,I went off on a healing rant the other nite,things I have never mentioned to anyone.I had one young lady teacher in a sea of old type dinosaurs.She made the difference.bless her she deserved a medal.,