Deciding whether to get a diagnosis.

Hi everybody, I am not sure which section to post this in. I am currently a mature uni student in Nottingham. I have always thought, responded to and interacted with people differently to most. Until recently I had no idea why this was, but since starting university numerous people have either asked if I am on the autistic spectrum or just assumed that I am. Over the summer holidays I decided to do some proper research into it and talked about it to friends who are on the spectrum. It would be an understatement to say it explains a LOT. From my research it would appear to be aspergers, though online information has been somewhat inconsistent. I think it went unnoticed for a very long time as I have physical health problems that prevented me being able to do much of anything for many years.

Leading to the main question as to whether I should get a diagnosis. I am at this stage about 95% certain that I am on the spectrum, it just explains too many things from difficulties in social interactions, body language to what I used to view as personality quirks. Ultimately if I am on the spectrum it is part of who I am and nothing can change that. I find life very difficult but I am coping so I don’t know if a diagnosis will be of any benefit to me.

However my main concern is that a diagnosis could result in a lot of long term negatives/problems. Partly due to poor understanding or misinterpretation of health problems that exist in the general population. I brought up considering diagnosis with my GP and he said that a diagnosis could limit my ability to access work and could close doors for me as it would have to go on any medical reports. I have friends who think that what the GP has said is completely wrong and think I should try and get a diagnosis. I have found information online to be somewhat inconsistent and incomplete.

It would be really helpful to get some more viewpoints and find out about the personal experiences of others before I decide whether or not to get a diagnosis. Thank you

Parents
  • How about drivers licenses? Can the diagnosis affect the driver's license?

• I don't think it can, unless the diagnosis comes with  a severe leaning disability. I know aspies/autistics who drive. I know on one of the threads I was speaking with someone in the process of getting his HGV licence. I've got a provisional LGV/HGVPSV licence as I think Fiona from Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers and Lisa and Mia from Ice Road Truckers made me think HGV driving can be for us girlies too!!!!  I like the idea of HGV driving in that much of it is alone, perhaps with one other person, apart from making deliveries, Tho I do wonder how stressed I'd  get with deadlines for deliveries and I get stuck in traffic. I think my working style is in small groups or perhaps alone, tho I do sometimes have too much time alone, tho it can get lonely, tho I find it difficult to make friends, and most of them live 60-80 miles away.
    I'd like to get my cat A licence (motorbikes) and C HGV even if just to say I've got them. I wish I could test out the water before deciding if HGV driving is right for me, not that I've got the money, tho I was going to try and save some money up tho my last job went *** up. Other than HGV driving I think museum/heritage/history is the right setting for me to work in!!!   

• I don't think it can, unless the diagnosis comes with  a severe leaning disability. I know aspies/autistics who drive. I know on one of the threads I was speaking with someone in the process of getting his HGV licence. I've got a provisional LGV/HGVPSV licence as I think Fiona from Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers and Lisa and Mia from Ice Road Truckers made me think HGV driving can be for us girlies too!!!!  I like the idea of HGV driving in that much of it is alone, perhaps with one other person, apart from making deliveries, Tho I do wonder how stressed I'd  get with deadlines for deliveries and I get stuck in traffic. I think my working style is in small groups or perhaps alone, tho I do sometimes have too much time alone, tho it can get lonely, tho I find it difficult to make friends, and most of them live 60-80 miles away.
    I'd like to get my cat A licence (motorbikes) and C HGV even if just to say I've got them. I wish I could test out the water before deciding if HGV driving is right for me, not that I've got the money, tho I was going to try and save some money up tho my last job went *** up. Other than HGV driving I think museum/heritage/history is the right setting for me to work in!!!   

Children