Since When is a physio a doctor? When he's an ESA Assessor

I would say I've had a most horrible day, went back for ESA assessment as did have one with a nurse on 20th July, tho she postponed it as she'd thought I'd be better assessed by a doctor given me being a prem baby , and I had difficulty breathing. So went along to another assessment  today ,( which was running 2 hours late), when the "doctor" said about his qualifications , he wasn't a doctor at all but a physiotherepist. My main issue is Aspergers and mental health issues, and WTF would a physio know about them?    

Parents
  • I just want to scream reading all this, it's so upsetting and cruel and unjust. I haven't been on the sharp end of this system, though it's likely I may be at some point, just had brushes with it in the past so I recognise the fear and trauma it causes.

I hope you all find the help and strength to fight you corners and appeal, but talk about kicking people when they are down, it's such a broken system.  How can people do those jobs when they know full well the decisions are wrong, it must affect their mental state too.

Given a supportive environment in terms of benefits and attitudes there could be so much more productivity and achievement instead of using what little energy and resources you all have just to fight to survive the system. Now words fail me, good luck people, I'm really sorry you are being **** on from a great height.

• Thank you Spotty. It is really scary and traumatic. I've been through some very bad times with it and have been out of the radar for a while but they don't leave you alone and one phone call or letter is enough to set my anxiety racing again. I wanted a home visit but I had to chose between the anxiety of setting that up and waiting or accepting the cancellation which is only a couple of days away and going to it just to get it out of the way. Plus I concur with most of what KillerQueen said. The effect destroys all the effort you put into trying to stay stable. 

• I do feel that I must apologise to any Christians on here, just I feel I've slated you all, but that's not how it was intended , just when I went to the initial assessment my friend knew the nurse, just they both went to the same church together at some stage. The nurse, who I believed to be a good Christian lied, as she said that I'm best assessed by a doctor, and when I did go back to see the doctor he was a physiotherapist!!! If she was knowingly setting me up with a physio then she lied!!!!  
    At least the advisor at the jobcentre seemed pleasant enough, I think even she could see I'm not fit for work, and any interaction with her is on a voluntary basis.  I've got a very dear veteran friend going through similar, or no doubt he will be soon. I know he did tell me about his military service sometime after we'd started a relationship, as I was sure he was a veteran, I think by something he said and I think veterans seem to appear straighter than civvies when they walk, by that their posture isn't hunched or slouched. Anyway that's what started me collecting for the Royal British Legion. I know he was the first and possibly only one to notice that there was some  possible PTSD when the relationship first became sexual ,I know in my past , there's a history of abuse, rape and domestic violence. I know he picked up on it when the relationship first turned sexual. Just my rotten luck to get a run of women's problems, tho after seeing various gynaecologists , there was nothing wrong, not physically , tho I would get pain that wasn't normal for me, and seemed to have more than my fair share of thrush and water infections, some of the pain could be psychosomatic, or maybe I'd got this expectation it would hurt, I'd tense up so it did. I just wish the gynaecologists had thought of referring me to a psychosexual counsellor  back then , as I'm close to resolving it, I would say that this relationship is been brilliant. I know we're right for each other so does he, I just wish the physical side hadn't become so fraught at times. I know this is perhaps rather brazen a post, but I need to let off steam. Oh yes and my veteran friend has combat related PTSD, maybe it takes one to notice another. I've not been diagnosed, but on an online  PTSD questionnaire I ticked yes to 18/22  questions!!!
    OH sorry this assessment has brought out much of the negative crap, even when I'm trying to progress, resolving issues with counselling , and also seeking voluntary work in a museum (in the hope of eventually  finding paid work in such a setting),  speak about putting the knife in, just that assessment has made me feel like poo, or possibly less than *** on your shoe.

I do wonder what the turnover rate for DWP assessors is, how long do they stay in their jobs, have some got a consience, have any been driven to the point of attempting or actually committing suicide, like so many of the people they assess have. I know they themselves don't make the decisions, but I believe many lie. The ironic thing is it must cost the government more in appeals than it does to continue paying the £30 odd quid a week.

I know this song sums up how I feel right now www.youtube.com/watch      

• I can manage it, yes.  But the more I was around the illness and people with it, the more of a 'problem' it became, the more I started to test the boundaries of it - and the more of a problem it became.  And you reach a stage where it starts to become more habitual.  I'm not an alcoholic.  I have a problem with alcohol, and that can lead to other places.  But, as with my current situation, I'm easy come-easy go with it.  I had a bit of a binge on Saturday, but it still wasn't a huge amount.  I don't need it to get through the day.  Mostly, now, I have a beer or two in the evenings while I'm relaxing with a movie.  That isn't alcoholic behaviour. 

I've heard about this kind of thing before, though.  People get told it's their problem, so it becomes their problem.  Even my GP was astonished when I told him I'd been referred to an alcohol unit.  He asked me what I drank.  I told him.  He laughed.  "I think I have more of a problem than you have, then," he said.  But it takes root in your head.  Suddenly, you're not having a relaxing beer - instead, you're feeling guilty for feeding your 'problem.'

• Tom, have you been able to manage this now? Would like to talk to you more about this particular topic if you feel able to.

sorry for butting in....

• I always drank normally up until around 40.  Sometimes I'd go for weeks with nothing.  Then I got sent for a mental health assessment at my CMHT.  Virtually the first question I got asked was 'Do you drink?'  I said 'Yes' because I did.  A can now and then.  An occasional bottle of wine.  Sometimes more if I was under stress.  But the psych straight away said that that was my problem and that I'd have to stop it before they would even consider any further treatment.  She sent me to an alcohol unit, where I was mixing with very serious alcoholics.  People who'd lost houses, jobs, families.  People who'd been in and out of rehab.  In short, I was as close to being like they were as someone with a bit of a chill is close to being like someone with pneumonia. 

But it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Once it was 'diagnosed' as my problem, it became my problem.  I was then advised to go to AA.  It just seemed crazy. But that's more or less how it happened for me.

• I agree, maybe rather the way forward is to ask addicts why they become addicts I don't think it's a case of someone rather liking the taste of alcohol or food.Let's face it something perfectly legal  like food can be addictive to some people, tho I know it's meant as fuel for the body but what causes some to eat much more than they need?    I guess there's a whole range of things that can be addictive. At what stage does something stop being harmless and reaches the dependency /addiction stage. What I find is there's often some form of traumatic stress injury that turns people into addicts. I think this is where governments are going wrong, being an addict is not simply a case of being weak willed!!! 

• Same here.  Addiction is a dreadful disease.  Sadly, though, society still regards it as a 'failing.'  No one is exempt, though, regardless of wealth or status.

• @ Tom Agreed, I;m not a fan of Ant and Dec, as I find them purile, but I wouldn't wish Ant's addiction problems an anyone. I think I did mention about Princes William and Harry seeing as they've been in the news speaking about mental health problems recently, and with it being 20 years ago since Princess Diana's death. I don't think it matters if your mother was married to the next in line to the throne or if you've lived your life in a council estate,loosing a parent , and mental health issues can affect anyone, but I agree with you Tom it's the difference in attitudes, like there's empathy for Ant or William and Harry, but for an ESA claimant  It's "Get a job you lazy scrounger" .

• @ Tom Agreed, I;m not a fan of Ant and Dec, as I find them purile, but I wouldn't wish Ant's addiction problems an anyone. I think I did mention about Princes William and Harry seeing as they've been in the news speaking about mental health problems recently, and with it being 20 years ago since Princess Diana's death. I don't think it matters if your mother was married to the next in line to the throne or if you've lived your life in a council estate,loosing a parent , and mental health issues can affect anyone, but I agree with you Tom it's the difference in attitudes, like there's empathy for Ant or William and Harry, but for an ESA claimant  It's "Get a job you lazy scrounger" .

Children
  • I can manage it, yes.  But the more I was around the illness and people with it, the more of a 'problem' it became, the more I started to test the boundaries of it - and the more of a problem it became.  And you reach a stage where it starts to become more habitual.  I'm not an alcoholic.  I have a problem with alcohol, and that can lead to other places.  But, as with my current situation, I'm easy come-easy go with it.  I had a bit of a binge on Saturday, but it still wasn't a huge amount.  I don't need it to get through the day.  Mostly, now, I have a beer or two in the evenings while I'm relaxing with a movie.  That isn't alcoholic behaviour. 

I've heard about this kind of thing before, though.  People get told it's their problem, so it becomes their problem.  Even my GP was astonished when I told him I'd been referred to an alcohol unit.  He asked me what I drank.  I told him.  He laughed.  "I think I have more of a problem than you have, then," he said.  But it takes root in your head.  Suddenly, you're not having a relaxing beer - instead, you're feeling guilty for feeding your 'problem.'

• Tom, have you been able to manage this now? Would like to talk to you more about this particular topic if you feel able to.

sorry for butting in....

• I always drank normally up until around 40.  Sometimes I'd go for weeks with nothing.  Then I got sent for a mental health assessment at my CMHT.  Virtually the first question I got asked was 'Do you drink?'  I said 'Yes' because I did.  A can now and then.  An occasional bottle of wine.  Sometimes more if I was under stress.  But the psych straight away said that that was my problem and that I'd have to stop it before they would even consider any further treatment.  She sent me to an alcohol unit, where I was mixing with very serious alcoholics.  People who'd lost houses, jobs, families.  People who'd been in and out of rehab.  In short, I was as close to being like they were as someone with a bit of a chill is close to being like someone with pneumonia. 

But it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Once it was 'diagnosed' as my problem, it became my problem.  I was then advised to go to AA.  It just seemed crazy. But that's more or less how it happened for me.

• I agree, maybe rather the way forward is to ask addicts why they become addicts I don't think it's a case of someone rather liking the taste of alcohol or food.Let's face it something perfectly legal  like food can be addictive to some people, tho I know it's meant as fuel for the body but what causes some to eat much more than they need?    I guess there's a whole range of things that can be addictive. At what stage does something stop being harmless and reaches the dependency /addiction stage. What I find is there's often some form of traumatic stress injury that turns people into addicts. I think this is where governments are going wrong, being an addict is not simply a case of being weak willed!!! 

• Same here.  Addiction is a dreadful disease.  Sadly, though, society still regards it as a 'failing.'  No one is exempt, though, regardless of wealth or status.