Future Living Arrangements

Hello

This is my first post here, and I’m pretty anxious about posting to be quite honest.

My name is Scott, I’m about to become 24yo, I live in the Wolverhampton area, and I’m on the Autistic Spectrum. I’m not entirely sure of my exact diagnosis - definitely not Aspergers, but I’m not 100% sure I come under HFA. In the past my Mom referred to my diagnosis as either: just “Autism” or “He’s socially and emotionally disabled”. I’d be interested in getting a copy of my official diagnosis sometime in the future, just for personal clarification. I should add that I was diagnosed around 7-8yo.

Anyway, I’m looking for some advice and information in regards to my future and what is available. I still live at home with my Mom and two siblings. My Mom is currently my advocate/power of attorney. We’re about to start the transition from a lifetime award of mid-rate DLA to PIP - in fact, we’ll be filling in the forms tomorrow! In the last few months I’ve been starting to think about my future, especially in regards to living arrangements and what is available for a person like me. In short I would like to move out in the near future.

I have heard about Independent Living or Supported Living services previously, but I'm not entirely sure I would qualify.

So my question are:

• What would be my options?
  • Would I be able to claim housing benefit?
  • Would leaving home affect my current benefits? I currently receive ESA & DLA (soon to be PIP if I qualify)

I should add that I've probably forgot to include some necessary information, so feel free to ask me anything.

-Scott

Parents
  • I replied earlier but seems to have got lost. Do you have a Social Worker? If so they would help you with this. If not contact Social Services and they will arrange to talk to you about what options are available to help towards your independence.

Look for information online about how to fill in your forms to make sure you don't miss anything out. Benefits and Work is good for this but there may be others too. 

• I replied earlier but seems to have got lost. Do you have a Social Worker? If so they would help you with this. If not contact Social Services and they will arrange to talk to you about what options are available to help towards your independence.

Look for information online about how to fill in your forms to make sure you don't miss anything out. Benefits and Work is good for this but there may be others too. 

Children
No Data