Newbie here, needing advice!

I'm a 29 year old female, diagnosed as having ASD April last year. I still live at home with my parents and soon they are planning on moving to a completely new area. I will move with them and am looking forward to it, my older sister whom I am very close to has already moved there with her 3 children. I am however anxious about finding a new job.

I used to work 37.5hrs a week but eventually couldn't cope anymore, after a few months off work with depression, anxiety, OCD, I reduced my working hours to 30hrs per week which is much more manageable. I do still struggle to cope with the demands that working places on me: social contact, having to do things a certain way, noise, bright light, having to focus and muti task etc but can't afford to not work.

I'm really worried about finding a suitable job, applying and gaining a new employment that I can cope with. The longest spell I have gone been unemployed was 18 months so obviously this is worrying me massively and affecting my mood. At the time I was unaware I was autistic but now I know, do I disclose and if so when during the whole process? 

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and for any replies I may receive.

Tash

Parents
  • I am in favour of disclosing and would say after you have been invited to an interview; of course, if you have health related forms to complete then I would recommend disclosure at that point and after being invited to an interview (the interviewers may well not see the forms).

Disclosure allows for reasonable adjustments.

My occupational therapist came up with the idea of an introductory document to be sent to the organisation upon being asked for an interview. The document included an overview of Asperger's and how people with Asperger's can make a valuable contribution to an organisation. The document also included some possible reasonable adjustments.

If you feel the document may be of use, I can post it and you can use it as a basis for your own version.

By the way, I also suffer from depression and anxiety.

• I am in favour of disclosing and would say after you have been invited to an interview; of course, if you have health related forms to complete then I would recommend disclosure at that point and after being invited to an interview (the interviewers may well not see the forms).

Disclosure allows for reasonable adjustments.

My occupational therapist came up with the idea of an introductory document to be sent to the organisation upon being asked for an interview. The document included an overview of Asperger's and how people with Asperger's can make a valuable contribution to an organisation. The document also included some possible reasonable adjustments.

If you feel the document may be of use, I can post it and you can use it as a basis for your own version.

By the way, I also suffer from depression and anxiety.

Children