Struggling with work's training

As with most employees I have to attend training in order to keep my knowledge up to date and ensure I'm compliant with my employer's policies and procedures. 

But, I've noticed over the last few years, staff are bringing in iPads to take notes rather than the humble pad and pen, which is what I still prefer. The point of this post is this, does anyone else struggle to focus when there are other noises going on in the room? I've managed to tolerate the overhead projector whirring away and even the odd cough or pen click. But now there is numerous tap, tap taps going on and I feel like up ending the table and storming out. 

I recently complained to the training team about it. I'm still not out to everyone at work and don't feel I have to, to justify my frustration. But does anyone have any tips to block out/filter the distracting noise as they all merge to make one loud head-drilling sound?

lee. 

Parents
  • You have my sympathies.  Can you ask colleagues to turn off the click sound in their iPads? 

I sometimes doodle just to help focus. Crochet also helps but I have to get my manager "right" before I do this!

• Its more to do with tapping on the screen or the Bluetooth keyboards they have. I also don't feel able to delicately ask them to refrain without sounding like mr angry! If I start doodling I get caught up in that and tune out of the session so need to focus on that. May be I just need a 1:1 tutorial!

• I am not sure if I will be able to help you with this at all as I struggle with focusing on things when it is important to do so. I have noticed with myself I am respond well to physical actions to calm me down. An example I know it isn't the same, but when I get anxious at night I tap my leg/arm/ear and count in my head. I have used a fidget cube when needing calming again due to the physical action of movement tapping. Is there anything similar you can do, that will not stand out or make more distraction from the noise. I appreciate exactly where you are coming from and how certain noises can make me want to explode.

Is it possible to ask for a print out with all the information on the training, so that you can take it away in your own time or does it have to be completed in the room there and then?

• I am not sure if I will be able to help you with this at all as I struggle with focusing on things when it is important to do so. I have noticed with myself I am respond well to physical actions to calm me down. An example I know it isn't the same, but when I get anxious at night I tap my leg/arm/ear and count in my head. I have used a fidget cube when needing calming again due to the physical action of movement tapping. Is there anything similar you can do, that will not stand out or make more distraction from the noise. I appreciate exactly where you are coming from and how certain noises can make me want to explode.

Is it possible to ask for a print out with all the information on the training, so that you can take it away in your own time or does it have to be completed in the room there and then?

Children
No Data