Violence linked to Aspergers?

What are people's views on violence being linked to Aspergers?
I found this story on the provided link:-

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0886260508322195

Parents
  • hello.

firstly, that is an abstract, not a story. it is an abstract, and therefore the full context of the piece is not evident. 

secondly, the date of that abstract is 2008. i would suggest it is wise to bear this in mind, as often academic research or opinion based on research is relative; particularly in this case as medical studies appear to be the focus...

moving on to violence: the definition of violence is a broad one. it could be suggested that a person firing a gun is perpetrating an act of violence. however, context alters the reasoning. if a peron is firing a gun in self defence? if self defense, then by who's definition. violence is relative. 

a tiger killing its prey - killing is violent, but also natural.... 

as for myself, i have been forced to defend myself physically, mentally, emotionally, and have perpetrated what could be construed as acts of viloence towards others, because i have been forced to defend myself; and also i have perpetrated acts of violence against myself in terms of self abuse etc. self harm, psychological and emotional trauma etc.

the thing about violence is that it is relative. even crash dieting, could carry with it violent undertones, particularly if stress on the body is perpetrated.... forcing to starve yourself for the purpose of 'looking good' is quiet violent when one thinks about it...

i would suggest therefore that violence is a spectrum. 

as an autistic person, i abhor violence. but i will defend myself if necessary. i don't want to be violent. but i witness violence every day, against the planet, its animals, and i see people interact with others etc. etc. in violent ways, often very low key but equally as damaging, sometimes even acclimated violence appears 'normal' or is accepted as 'normalised' behaviour...

this has been said before on this site but, autistc people are peaceful creatures. i don't see, and have not seen any evidence yet towards supporting the premise that autistics are predisposed to violence. 

• hello.

firstly, that is an abstract, not a story. it is an abstract, and therefore the full context of the piece is not evident. 

secondly, the date of that abstract is 2008. i would suggest it is wise to bear this in mind, as often academic research or opinion based on research is relative; particularly in this case as medical studies appear to be the focus...

moving on to violence: the definition of violence is a broad one. it could be suggested that a person firing a gun is perpetrating an act of violence. however, context alters the reasoning. if a peron is firing a gun in self defence? if self defense, then by who's definition. violence is relative. 

a tiger killing its prey - killing is violent, but also natural.... 

as for myself, i have been forced to defend myself physically, mentally, emotionally, and have perpetrated what could be construed as acts of viloence towards others, because i have been forced to defend myself; and also i have perpetrated acts of violence against myself in terms of self abuse etc. self harm, psychological and emotional trauma etc.

the thing about violence is that it is relative. even crash dieting, could carry with it violent undertones, particularly if stress on the body is perpetrated.... forcing to starve yourself for the purpose of 'looking good' is quiet violent when one thinks about it...

i would suggest therefore that violence is a spectrum. 

as an autistic person, i abhor violence. but i will defend myself if necessary. i don't want to be violent. but i witness violence every day, against the planet, its animals, and i see people interact with others etc. etc. in violent ways, often very low key but equally as damaging, sometimes even acclimated violence appears 'normal' or is accepted as 'normalised' behaviour...

this has been said before on this site but, autistc people are peaceful creatures. i don't see, and have not seen any evidence yet towards supporting the premise that autistics are predisposed to violence. 

Children
No Data