What is Autism classified as?

I don't understand what it means when they say that Autism Spectrum Disorder is a Neurodevelopmental Disorder, does this mean you're born with it? or it develops from early childhood? Can somebody please explain? Also is it genetic? I'm sorry for all the questions I'm newly diagnosed and I want to learn as much about the condition as I can.

Parents
  • That makes so much sense now. Thank you! I've always felt inferior to others, different and an outcast, I thought nobody would ever understand me and I got into some quite serious lows. When it got bad I attempted to take my own life numerous times and even resorted to SH in my earlier teen and adult years. This is probably why Psychiatrists initially diagnosed me with Borderline Personality Disorder, despite being eventually diagnosed with ASD, the mental health team still refuse to recognise the Autism as my main diagnosis and I'm basically treated like a time waster, the crisis team are the same, they said that I had to learn positive coping mechanisms, and put into practice the 3 week DBT skills group which was pointless. 

• That makes so much sense now. Thank you! I've always felt inferior to others, different and an outcast, I thought nobody would ever understand me and I got into some quite serious lows. When it got bad I attempted to take my own life numerous times and even resorted to SH in my earlier teen and adult years. This is probably why Psychiatrists initially diagnosed me with Borderline Personality Disorder, despite being eventually diagnosed with ASD, the mental health team still refuse to recognise the Autism as my main diagnosis and I'm basically treated like a time waster, the crisis team are the same, they said that I had to learn positive coping mechanisms, and put into practice the 3 week DBT skills group which was pointless. 

Children
No Data