Asperger's is becoming an obsession for me.

So since I was young I always knew I was different. I didn't start talking until a lot later than other kids, I always struggled with social interactions, and there are a great many reasons why I recently have come to the belief that I have always had aspergers (I'm a 27 year old man to provide context). As I have got older I have learned many of societies rules, and I think I actually function pretty well now, at least on the outside, on the inside I feel like I am constantly managing an array of filters, filtering what goes in (at least trying to) and filtering what goes out so I don't inadvertently offend or upset someone. It's tiring...

Anyway, I realise that what I am doing most likely isn't helpful, but I feel I have to do something. I think I've become a bit obsessed with Aspergers, I've read a load about it and watched hours of videos, I always do this, when something interests me I spend hours studying it, I can't break out of it, it's like I'm drawn to it. It's one of the many things that makes me think I have Aspergers, but now it appears that Aspergers is the focus of my current obsession.

The issue is that now I have studied things I have reached the point that I am almost totally convinced I fit the bill, so much so that I now make most things fit, I can't be sure that this is what I am doing, or if things actually do fit and I'm just recognising it, I also have a problem where when I believe something I can find a tremendous amount of supporting evidence, I have done this before and later been proved to be wrong, so I accept that is a possibility in this instance.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Parents
  • Thanks marcaevans
    I seem to be doing better this week, I think it helps me when I realise that I am obsessing over something. I get obsessed a lot, so I am now quite practised at distracting myself away from material once I realise something has become an obsession. Controlling my thoughts is much more of a difficult task, the only think I have learned there is that trying not to think about it will undoubtedly have the opposite effect. I'm just focusing in on my computers at the moment hoping to beat one obsession with a stronger one.
    I'm going to give it a week, see how it goes. If I still feel as strongly about it as I do now I will book in with my GP. The way I see it I've lived with this for over 27 years and have got through the worst of them, a week isn't going to make much of a difference to me.
    I hope your assessment results tomorrow give you answers that help you with your life. Good luck to you also.
    Forest
  • Thanks marcaevans
    I seem to be doing better this week, I think it helps me when I realise that I am obsessing over something. I get obsessed a lot, so I am now quite practised at distracting myself away from material once I realise something has become an obsession. Controlling my thoughts is much more of a difficult task, the only think I have learned there is that trying not to think about it will undoubtedly have the opposite effect. I'm just focusing in on my computers at the moment hoping to beat one obsession with a stronger one.
    I'm going to give it a week, see how it goes. If I still feel as strongly about it as I do now I will book in with my GP. The way I see it I've lived with this for over 27 years and have got through the worst of them, a week isn't going to make much of a difference to me.
    I hope your assessment results tomorrow give you answers that help you with your life. Good luck to you also.
    Forest
Children
No Data