Getting a Job

Isnt it really unfair that employers turn people away because they have HFA or Asperger syndrome?? 

I believe there isnt a lot of support from the UK government when it comes to tackling job employment for the disabled. Would i be right in saying that??

Who on here actually has a part-time or full-time job?

Parents
  • Forgive me, but what does your latter point demonstrate? Perhaps using people with learning problems for the kind of jobs they were going out to was an inappropriate strategy if they needed so much supervision. There are lots of well meaning intitiatives that fall because they haven't been thought out.

Does that prevent people with AS finding work? I think that more research is needed as to what characteristics of work environments make this difficult. Some are probably inappropriate choices of vocational activity, but maybe that needs more research as well.

Others I am certain are because non-disabled participants aren't sufficiently committed and don't give things a chance to work, particularly the subtle bullying and discrimination by NT's that is out of sight of the bosses but damaging to the individual or work tasks that are bound to result in failure which amounts to constructive dismissal.

I do feel frustrated at the lack of any motivation to make things better - so much "well this failed so no point in trying" isn't getting us anywhere.

Lots of work schemes are daft. Using community service for offenders to do essential jobs in the community often fails because some of the organisers over apply health and fafety rules. In disabled contexts theres more than the disabled individual involved here.

Research is needed

• Forgive me, but what does your latter point demonstrate? Perhaps using people with learning problems for the kind of jobs they were going out to was an inappropriate strategy if they needed so much supervision. There are lots of well meaning intitiatives that fall because they haven't been thought out.

Does that prevent people with AS finding work? I think that more research is needed as to what characteristics of work environments make this difficult. Some are probably inappropriate choices of vocational activity, but maybe that needs more research as well.

Others I am certain are because non-disabled participants aren't sufficiently committed and don't give things a chance to work, particularly the subtle bullying and discrimination by NT's that is out of sight of the bosses but damaging to the individual or work tasks that are bound to result in failure which amounts to constructive dismissal.

I do feel frustrated at the lack of any motivation to make things better - so much "well this failed so no point in trying" isn't getting us anywhere.

Lots of work schemes are daft. Using community service for offenders to do essential jobs in the community often fails because some of the organisers over apply health and fafety rules. In disabled contexts theres more than the disabled individual involved here.

Research is needed

Children
No Data