Asperger's and Jobs

I was wondering as an Aspie myself. What jobs do those of you with Asperger's do for a living?

What jobs do you think would be suitable for someone with Asperger's like myself? Any ideas?

Parents
  • Banjo's Backpack said:

Sounds good Pentadactyl, and I am happy you've found a career you're enjoying. A lot of those things are attractive but I find myself needing more. My ambition means when I get a job, the first thing I think of is, how to I now move on to a higher level? I also don't like things too routine and too rule orientated. I like rules, but not dictated by others. Self-employment is therefore probably my preferred option so now after having a degree, I am exploring becoming a mechanic to be self-employed in a job I can be self-employed in, successful and create my own rules.

I'm unclear as to what you mean by 'more'. What is your view of work at a higher level? My experience of upper management and so on is largely based on the pursuit of (usually arbitrary or profits based) targets. Moving 'upwards' in an organisation is, in my opinion, best based on a thorough understanding of the lower levels of the organisation (thereby allowing you to 'emphasise' or better consider their position when you make requests for changes/requests for tasks or targets). That said, PR and marketing areas may be different and I have no experience here (if you are considering PR, I would suggest trying to find a job in a local newspaper, this will allow you to gain an insight into communication requirements and regulations surrounding items such as libel).

There are risks and benefits to being self employed. The largest benefit is, of course, self sufficiency, the largest risk; security.

If you decide to become a self-employed mechanic, consider the people you would like to service; for example if you would like to be able to work as an insurance repairer you will (as a minimum) need to be VAT registered. You must also consider your parts suppliers and the quality of the parts supplied (for example, if a part failed while still in warranty, would you replace it under warranty terms? Or, what is your profit margin on parts.

You should also consider what initial expendature would need to be made. For example, although vehicles are fitted with a universal connection (OBD?) as standard, universal software may not be sufficient to detect or amend vehicle faults and certain replacement of components would require vehicle re-programming following this replacement.

You should also consider the technical knowledge required to repair vehicles or provide a quote for repairs; would you subscribe to a technical data library?

Banjo's Backpack said:

On the salary front, I have a degree in the field of communication and marketing with a few years experience from placements etc. When I was interviewed for a job recently they offered me minimum wage. This was a very wealthy pharmaceutical company under pressure in the marketing department. I value myself much more than that. Much like another reader in this forum (sorry I don't have your username on hand), I was also advised to take my degree of my C.V. In a way, I am offered nothing more really for it, but I also value myself and so we should!

In reference to this, I suspect that it is related to the position applied for. My understanding of marketing positions is that they are based on incentive (i.e. comission based).

To give an anecdote, when I left university, I found it very difficult to find a relevent job and worked as a mechanic for approximately a year before I was able to do so. When I did find a relevent position, I was working at just above minimum wage for the time (and less than I was earning working as a mechanic), I worked in this position for four years before moving on. It has taken me ten years to reach my current position, and I am grateful that I was able to work in that lower paid position as it allowed me to gain experience in the industry as well as (as the work was relatively easy) put myself forwards for additional and more complicated tasks with little/no risk and so gain experience in other areas.

I suppose my advice here is not to look down on a position because it's low paid if it's something that you want to do.

• Banjo's Backpack said:

Sounds good Pentadactyl, and I am happy you've found a career you're enjoying. A lot of those things are attractive but I find myself needing more. My ambition means when I get a job, the first thing I think of is, how to I now move on to a higher level? I also don't like things too routine and too rule orientated. I like rules, but not dictated by others. Self-employment is therefore probably my preferred option so now after having a degree, I am exploring becoming a mechanic to be self-employed in a job I can be self-employed in, successful and create my own rules.

I'm unclear as to what you mean by 'more'. What is your view of work at a higher level? My experience of upper management and so on is largely based on the pursuit of (usually arbitrary or profits based) targets. Moving 'upwards' in an organisation is, in my opinion, best based on a thorough understanding of the lower levels of the organisation (thereby allowing you to 'emphasise' or better consider their position when you make requests for changes/requests for tasks or targets). That said, PR and marketing areas may be different and I have no experience here (if you are considering PR, I would suggest trying to find a job in a local newspaper, this will allow you to gain an insight into communication requirements and regulations surrounding items such as libel).

There are risks and benefits to being self employed. The largest benefit is, of course, self sufficiency, the largest risk; security.

If you decide to become a self-employed mechanic, consider the people you would like to service; for example if you would like to be able to work as an insurance repairer you will (as a minimum) need to be VAT registered. You must also consider your parts suppliers and the quality of the parts supplied (for example, if a part failed while still in warranty, would you replace it under warranty terms? Or, what is your profit margin on parts.

You should also consider what initial expendature would need to be made. For example, although vehicles are fitted with a universal connection (OBD?) as standard, universal software may not be sufficient to detect or amend vehicle faults and certain replacement of components would require vehicle re-programming following this replacement.

You should also consider the technical knowledge required to repair vehicles or provide a quote for repairs; would you subscribe to a technical data library?

Banjo's Backpack said:

On the salary front, I have a degree in the field of communication and marketing with a few years experience from placements etc. When I was interviewed for a job recently they offered me minimum wage. This was a very wealthy pharmaceutical company under pressure in the marketing department. I value myself much more than that. Much like another reader in this forum (sorry I don't have your username on hand), I was also advised to take my degree of my C.V. In a way, I am offered nothing more really for it, but I also value myself and so we should!

In reference to this, I suspect that it is related to the position applied for. My understanding of marketing positions is that they are based on incentive (i.e. comission based).

To give an anecdote, when I left university, I found it very difficult to find a relevent job and worked as a mechanic for approximately a year before I was able to do so. When I did find a relevent position, I was working at just above minimum wage for the time (and less than I was earning working as a mechanic), I worked in this position for four years before moving on. It has taken me ten years to reach my current position, and I am grateful that I was able to work in that lower paid position as it allowed me to gain experience in the industry as well as (as the work was relatively easy) put myself forwards for additional and more complicated tasks with little/no risk and so gain experience in other areas.

I suppose my advice here is not to look down on a position because it's low paid if it's something that you want to do.

Children
No Data