Noticing things that everyone else misses

I'm a 32yo guy with Asperger's, I've always picked up on things more than I think "normal" people do but recently I've become even more aware of this. This could be a tap dripping in another room, the smell of burning that everyone else has totally missed, the werid noise coming from their car engine, the text that's out of alignment in a presentation by a pixel from one page to the next, the bad calculation on a page etc. These things stand out to me like a foghorn, the smell of an open sewer or a big flashing light and bug the hell out of me, I want to fix them even though to everyone else they don't even register. If I'm not careful these things can annoy me until I can fix them.

Does anyone else suffer with the same thing and have you found any suitable coping mechanisms to stop caring about fixing these things if it's not really within your remit?

Parents
  • I'm like this with noise in particular (smells are a close second). I can hear the slightest tap or click and sometimes it gets overwhelming. We have new neighbours who are so noisy and the cacophony of sounds through out the day and night is utterly unbearable. I have had to invest in ear plugs to block out the noise.

• I'm like this with noise in particular (smells are a close second). I can hear the slightest tap or click and sometimes it gets overwhelming. We have new neighbours who are so noisy and the cacophony of sounds through out the day and night is utterly unbearable. I have had to invest in ear plugs to block out the noise.

Children
No Data