Noticing things that everyone else misses

I'm a 32yo guy with Asperger's, I've always picked up on things more than I think "normal" people do but recently I've become even more aware of this. This could be a tap dripping in another room, the smell of burning that everyone else has totally missed, the werid noise coming from their car engine, the text that's out of alignment in a presentation by a pixel from one page to the next, the bad calculation on a page etc. These things stand out to me like a foghorn, the smell of an open sewer or a big flashing light and bug the hell out of me, I want to fix them even though to everyone else they don't even register. If I'm not careful these things can annoy me until I can fix them.

Does anyone else suffer with the same thing and have you found any suitable coping mechanisms to stop caring about fixing these things if it's not really within your remit?

Parents
  • I notice spelling and punctuation errors. Have learnt to ignore unless important. However I make a lot of typos myself when typing quickly reversing the order.

Re smells, very acute. Useful if I smell gas although sometimes it can just be when a ring is turned on. A few years ago I tried to trace the source at work and eventually traced it to onion someone removed from a sandwich and left in the bin. When I worked in the office rather than from home I would notice any hot smells but often turned out to be from the cafe. 

The other thing is noises which my other half doesn't hear and at night I have to check it out if I don't know what it is before going to sleep.

I find these things very annoying but where I can't fix them I have made myself switch off by telling myself to ignore them. Sometimes I wish my senses weren't so acute.

• I notice spelling and punctuation errors. Have learnt to ignore unless important. However I make a lot of typos myself when typing quickly reversing the order.

Re smells, very acute. Useful if I smell gas although sometimes it can just be when a ring is turned on. A few years ago I tried to trace the source at work and eventually traced it to onion someone removed from a sandwich and left in the bin. When I worked in the office rather than from home I would notice any hot smells but often turned out to be from the cafe. 

The other thing is noises which my other half doesn't hear and at night I have to check it out if I don't know what it is before going to sleep.

I find these things very annoying but where I can't fix them I have made myself switch off by telling myself to ignore them. Sometimes I wish my senses weren't so acute.

Children