Let it go and move forward

Quick request for advice.

Last september I had a devastating blow when my career path was stopped in my last year of training. Since then I have been unable to fully move on and I am still unable to let it go. I think about was has happened everyday fixating on it and replaying it and the causes.

It is making me unwell with growing low self esteem and my ability to cope with it is getting more difficult. I struggle to process the pain that comes with replaying it and this manifests in physically unhealthy ways.

What I am asking for is any ways that have helped others to let go of unhealthy fixations.

Any formulas for letting go of things that are painful and moving forward?

Thank you

Parents
  • you need to find a way of stopping negative reinforcement cycles and going through all the possible outcomes/permutations.

The latter can be eased by writing down some feasibility charts. How likely is that particular outcome?  By writing down all the possible vectors in a given situation you can write down comments on them, and even look up things on the web to try to diffuse them. This takes them out of your head onto paper.

With spiralling anxiety you need to develop break codes. This takes time. I now have reactions that spark off fairly early like "I've had enough of this", "stop this is going nowhere". They are enough just to deflect the adverse thought for a short while. Initially physical pain can do this - flicking your ear, or have a strong elastic band on your wrist and twang it hard on the inside of your wrist.

There is a disposition to dwell on unresolved issues like losing jobs. The other way to look at it is the loss of the job may be a new beginning, if you can enable the new beginning to crystallize.

• you need to find a way of stopping negative reinforcement cycles and going through all the possible outcomes/permutations.

The latter can be eased by writing down some feasibility charts. How likely is that particular outcome?  By writing down all the possible vectors in a given situation you can write down comments on them, and even look up things on the web to try to diffuse them. This takes them out of your head onto paper.

With spiralling anxiety you need to develop break codes. This takes time. I now have reactions that spark off fairly early like "I've had enough of this", "stop this is going nowhere". They are enough just to deflect the adverse thought for a short while. Initially physical pain can do this - flicking your ear, or have a strong elastic band on your wrist and twang it hard on the inside of your wrist.

There is a disposition to dwell on unresolved issues like losing jobs. The other way to look at it is the loss of the job may be a new beginning, if you can enable the new beginning to crystallize.

Children
No Data