DWP to target those with disabilities including Autism and Aspergers

DWP are going to be targetting those with Autism and Aspergers, among other hidden disabilities, to undergo Psychotherapeutic interventions. It is very likely that those refusing to participate will have their benefits sanctioned, as they will be considered to be not taking active steps towards seeking employment.

"The aim of the provision is to provide in depth support to assist claimants focus their minds on the activities and behaviours required to obtain and sustain employment. The claimants, who are in receipt of either Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA) will receive a highly personalised, individual, realistic, learning and employability programme, which is structured, focused and tailored to each claimant’s specific needs. This will include tackling complex barriers, as well as worklessness, motivation, interaction, anxiety concerns, and concentration issues."

https://www.contractsfinder.businesslink.gov.uk/Common/View%20Notice.aspx?NoticeId=1702143

I myself have Aspergers and a First Class Honours Degree in Psychology. Despite my difficulties and concerted effort in seeking work, I only managed to secure my first job aged 32. It always came down to the fact that I was unable to do as well as others in interviews and compete against those without my difficulties. Making employers aware of Aspergers in aplication forms never helped. I only successfully secured a job when an employer was willing to offer unpaid work experience and judge me based on my work performance, rather than interview performance - I had infact just failed to get through an interview at the same employer.

I know the problem is not with people with the types of difficulties described. The problem is employers who are unwilling to see beyond these differences. I welcome any efforts to help people into work. However, I am appalled that this approach blames people for difficulties they never chose to have. Efforts should be directed at employers themselves.

It would be nice to see an official line on this issue from NAS at some point, but I accept this can only be done once all is known. Will try research this issue more later and update this post if necessary.

Parents
  • I've had nothing but brick walls from ATW with support for one of my sons. I call it 'Denying ATW.' They've closed his case with no support in place, because he didn't have and couldn't afford his own computer. I wouldn't mind, but there were other aspects to his case that could have gone ahead, such as the NAS training course you mentioned above.

This leaves family members, often with ASD themselves, (as in my case) supporting their children whilst spinning the many other plates they suspend above their heads. This not only muddies the waters between being a Carer and a PA, but puts families under extreme strain!

I have two Children with ASD and splitting yourself in two, to support each of their needs simultaneously, is pretty tough at the best of times.

Voluntary work has it's pro's in the quest to access work, but in my sons experience it was an opportunity for employers to take advantage. None of the work he volunteered for amounted to a job at the end, despite repeated promises from the potential employers. I feel this was less about his ability/inability to do the job and more about the fact that employers were taking advantage of free labour at peak times.                 

In a time when the country/world is in economic crisis, employers can be tempted to turn to ever devious ways to cut staffing costs.

Eventually, my son had to go part-time, self-employed because he couldn't find work in our area!

Cue ATW one would think. Nope, No such luck! He's not alone on being let down here, either.

He's never claimed JSA or ESA and needs considerable support to manage his daily living and work support, but no one will help. In terms of stress and physical exhaustion, I'm now at breaking point.

I agree with the comments above. It's employers that need the training, not those with ASD. And targeting those with this type of difficulty is targeting the already vulnerable even further, in my opinion.

According to the National Autistic Society, Only 15% of people with autism are in full time employment, despite the fact that 79% of people with autism on out of work benefits, want to work.

Some statistics published elsewhere, site this statistic as an even lower percentage in work and most of them only work part-time. If those who are more able are having difficulty finding work, what chance do those have who are less able?

In my opinion, the DWP's proposals are likely to cause greater cost and strain on other services. My own husband is testimony to this. He suffered a nervous breakdown and following an ATOS interview, was forced back to work before he'd fully recovered. Within 6 months he had a relapse and was back to square one. Consequently, his therapy costs, medication costs and many other expenses were well beyond what they should have been, not to mention the damage to his self-esteem and mental well-being, which was completely shattered by this point.

The cost ultimately to society was greater, because the DWP believed they needed to save money. Where’s the economic sense in that?   As a man who hardly ever claimed benefits before his nervous breakdown and who genuinely needed support to recover fully, before being pushed back into the working world, this was a reinforcement of his failure to manage in his eyes and prolonged any significant recovery still further.

Has the DWP given any consideration to the effect this policy might have on the mental health and stress of those with ASD & Autism I wonder? - a band aid to fix a broken arm and many months of painful recovery than necessary due to the lack of appropriate treatment or even support- When will the penny finally drop?

This policy stinks and will surely pour fuel onto an already failing ATW program. If ATW did what it said on the tin and delivered appropriate support to those who requested it, then that would be a good start.....Not this tosh.

• I've had nothing but brick walls from ATW with support for one of my sons. I call it 'Denying ATW.' They've closed his case with no support in place, because he didn't have and couldn't afford his own computer. I wouldn't mind, but there were other aspects to his case that could have gone ahead, such as the NAS training course you mentioned above.

This leaves family members, often with ASD themselves, (as in my case) supporting their children whilst spinning the many other plates they suspend above their heads. This not only muddies the waters between being a Carer and a PA, but puts families under extreme strain!

I have two Children with ASD and splitting yourself in two, to support each of their needs simultaneously, is pretty tough at the best of times.

Voluntary work has it's pro's in the quest to access work, but in my sons experience it was an opportunity for employers to take advantage. None of the work he volunteered for amounted to a job at the end, despite repeated promises from the potential employers. I feel this was less about his ability/inability to do the job and more about the fact that employers were taking advantage of free labour at peak times.                 

In a time when the country/world is in economic crisis, employers can be tempted to turn to ever devious ways to cut staffing costs.

Eventually, my son had to go part-time, self-employed because he couldn't find work in our area!

Cue ATW one would think. Nope, No such luck! He's not alone on being let down here, either.

He's never claimed JSA or ESA and needs considerable support to manage his daily living and work support, but no one will help. In terms of stress and physical exhaustion, I'm now at breaking point.

I agree with the comments above. It's employers that need the training, not those with ASD. And targeting those with this type of difficulty is targeting the already vulnerable even further, in my opinion.

According to the National Autistic Society, Only 15% of people with autism are in full time employment, despite the fact that 79% of people with autism on out of work benefits, want to work.

Some statistics published elsewhere, site this statistic as an even lower percentage in work and most of them only work part-time. If those who are more able are having difficulty finding work, what chance do those have who are less able?

In my opinion, the DWP's proposals are likely to cause greater cost and strain on other services. My own husband is testimony to this. He suffered a nervous breakdown and following an ATOS interview, was forced back to work before he'd fully recovered. Within 6 months he had a relapse and was back to square one. Consequently, his therapy costs, medication costs and many other expenses were well beyond what they should have been, not to mention the damage to his self-esteem and mental well-being, which was completely shattered by this point.

The cost ultimately to society was greater, because the DWP believed they needed to save money. Where’s the economic sense in that?   As a man who hardly ever claimed benefits before his nervous breakdown and who genuinely needed support to recover fully, before being pushed back into the working world, this was a reinforcement of his failure to manage in his eyes and prolonged any significant recovery still further.

Has the DWP given any consideration to the effect this policy might have on the mental health and stress of those with ASD & Autism I wonder? - a band aid to fix a broken arm and many months of painful recovery than necessary due to the lack of appropriate treatment or even support- When will the penny finally drop?

This policy stinks and will surely pour fuel onto an already failing ATW program. If ATW did what it said on the tin and delivered appropriate support to those who requested it, then that would be a good start.....Not this tosh.

Children
No Data