17 yr Autistic daughter just refused PIP

Hi,

I am new to the forum as my daughter was only diagnosed with Austistic Spectrum Disorder last summer, after a year and a half of assessments. We applied for PIP last April (I am her appointee) and have just been sent a letter saying she will not receive it, despite never going out alone and not being able to cope with communication with people other than her immediate family, and that is limited. She scored 4 points for 'engaging with other people face to face' and 4 points for 'planning and following journeys'. Zero points for everything else, despite a face to face assessment where I explained that she goes out on average once a week, sometimes less, and is always accompanied. She has lots of sensitivities, particularly with food.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am preparing an appeal. It says on the covering letter ' I realise you have a disability or health condition and receiving this decision isn't the news you were hoping for'. It's a joke.

Parents
  • pip is a really hard to get thing that even amputees who get prostetics to try walk again get kicked off it for their attempt at walking.

they wont recognise autism for it as its invisible to their eyes and in their eyes you can live normally like a normal human and dont require it. infact im amazed they even diagnose people with it at all with their attitude, i never got diagnosed with anything or recieved any basic help at all despite clearly being massively ill in high school and then after it spending 16 years shut in my parents house doing nothing lol i didnt even get diagnosis or help, not even recognised or helped for depression believe it or not..... then again my gp is a bit rubbish, i went to them with chest pain and difficulty breathing and instead of a appointment right away they told me they will see me in 3 months.... then they said its probably nothing and brushed me off on that... then another time i went to them with swolen red/black exploding looking fingers and they did nothing and told me what do i expect them to do about it lol then told me to come back when it looks infected when it looked more than infected to me at that stage as it was all gangrenous looking. 

the uks medical services are rubbish and they dont deserve any pay at all until they do their jobs right.

but yeah pip is probably like that too, you will be brushed aside, but your lucky to have actually got a diagnosis and some help anyway, so the future is bright lol

• pip is a really hard to get thing that even amputees who get prostetics to try walk again get kicked off it for their attempt at walking.

they wont recognise autism for it as its invisible to their eyes and in their eyes you can live normally like a normal human and dont require it. infact im amazed they even diagnose people with it at all with their attitude, i never got diagnosed with anything or recieved any basic help at all despite clearly being massively ill in high school and then after it spending 16 years shut in my parents house doing nothing lol i didnt even get diagnosis or help, not even recognised or helped for depression believe it or not..... then again my gp is a bit rubbish, i went to them with chest pain and difficulty breathing and instead of a appointment right away they told me they will see me in 3 months.... then they said its probably nothing and brushed me off on that... then another time i went to them with swolen red/black exploding looking fingers and they did nothing and told me what do i expect them to do about it lol then told me to come back when it looks infected when it looked more than infected to me at that stage as it was all gangrenous looking. 

the uks medical services are rubbish and they dont deserve any pay at all until they do their jobs right.

but yeah pip is probably like that too, you will be brushed aside, but your lucky to have actually got a diagnosis and some help anyway, so the future is bright lol

Children
No Data