17 yr Autistic daughter just refused PIP

Hi,

I am new to the forum as my daughter was only diagnosed with Austistic Spectrum Disorder last summer, after a year and a half of assessments. We applied for PIP last April (I am her appointee) and have just been sent a letter saying she will not receive it, despite never going out alone and not being able to cope with communication with people other than her immediate family, and that is limited. She scored 4 points for 'engaging with other people face to face' and 4 points for 'planning and following journeys'. Zero points for everything else, despite a face to face assessment where I explained that she goes out on average once a week, sometimes less, and is always accompanied. She has lots of sensitivities, particularly with food.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am preparing an appeal. It says on the covering letter ' I realise you have a disability or health condition and receiving this decision isn't the news you were hoping for'. It's a joke.

Parents
  • We have had very very good news regarding our grandson's PIP allowance. (We are his legal guardians). He is 16 and has been diagnosed with high functioning ASD/PDA and severe mental health issues arising since he was 4.  He has been given enhanced care and mobility for 5 years. I sat and cried for a good half hour when the letter arrived and thoroughly enjoyed it. I dont understand why it has to be this stressful or why some get it and some equally deserving don't. I will not give up fighting to have this appalling welfare reform scrapped and replaced with something that acutally works and supports people who need it. 

• We have had very very good news regarding our grandson's PIP allowance. (We are his legal guardians). He is 16 and has been diagnosed with high functioning ASD/PDA and severe mental health issues arising since he was 4.  He has been given enhanced care and mobility for 5 years. I sat and cried for a good half hour when the letter arrived and thoroughly enjoyed it. I dont understand why it has to be this stressful or why some get it and some equally deserving don't. I will not give up fighting to have this appalling welfare reform scrapped and replaced with something that acutally works and supports people who need it. 

Children
No Data