17 yr Autistic daughter just refused PIP

Hi,

I am new to the forum as my daughter was only diagnosed with Austistic Spectrum Disorder last summer, after a year and a half of assessments. We applied for PIP last April (I am her appointee) and have just been sent a letter saying she will not receive it, despite never going out alone and not being able to cope with communication with people other than her immediate family, and that is limited. She scored 4 points for 'engaging with other people face to face' and 4 points for 'planning and following journeys'. Zero points for everything else, despite a face to face assessment where I explained that she goes out on average once a week, sometimes less, and is always accompanied. She has lots of sensitivities, particularly with food.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am preparing an appeal. It says on the covering letter ' I realise you have a disability or health condition and receiving this decision isn't the news you were hoping for'. It's a joke.

Parents
  • Hi.

Just an update that will hopefully be helpful to anyone going through the PIP renewal process. My daughter's current PIP award runs out in April 16. I re-applied in February making sure I wrote an essay on seperate paper to accompany each question in the booklet. It was stressful going into great detail again, especially as it is less than a year since we attended a tribunal to get PIP awarded the first time. I was really hoping to avoid a face to face assessment as my daughter would not have coped and thankfully PIP has been awarded without one. The amount is reduced as this time she has not received enough points for mobility, but she has received the standard amount for daily living. The best part is that the award is for 6 years, a huge relief. I could appeal the mobility but then risk having the award stopped or the term reduced and we just need a break from all this for a while.

Good luck to anyone going through this and write as much information as you can on those forms.

• Hi.

Just an update that will hopefully be helpful to anyone going through the PIP renewal process. My daughter's current PIP award runs out in April 16. I re-applied in February making sure I wrote an essay on seperate paper to accompany each question in the booklet. It was stressful going into great detail again, especially as it is less than a year since we attended a tribunal to get PIP awarded the first time. I was really hoping to avoid a face to face assessment as my daughter would not have coped and thankfully PIP has been awarded without one. The amount is reduced as this time she has not received enough points for mobility, but she has received the standard amount for daily living. The best part is that the award is for 6 years, a huge relief. I could appeal the mobility but then risk having the award stopped or the term reduced and we just need a break from all this for a while.

Good luck to anyone going through this and write as much information as you can on those forms.

Children
No Data