17 yr Autistic daughter just refused PIP

Hi,

I am new to the forum as my daughter was only diagnosed with Austistic Spectrum Disorder last summer, after a year and a half of assessments. We applied for PIP last April (I am her appointee) and have just been sent a letter saying she will not receive it, despite never going out alone and not being able to cope with communication with people other than her immediate family, and that is limited. She scored 4 points for 'engaging with other people face to face' and 4 points for 'planning and following journeys'. Zero points for everything else, despite a face to face assessment where I explained that she goes out on average once a week, sometimes less, and is always accompanied. She has lots of sensitivities, particularly with food.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am preparing an appeal. It says on the covering letter ' I realise you have a disability or health condition and receiving this decision isn't the news you were hoping for'. It's a joke.

Parents
  • Hi all, 

After my last post, i have some good and bad news. i went for my appeal today (23/03/2016), the people in front of me wouldnt let my mate speak on my behalf, i had to pull all my power to talk to them three people, it got that bad i was crying for about 10 mins due to the stress of what was being asked. i was in the room for about one hour. 

they sent me out of the room to pull myself together then got asked to go back in to be asked more questions, i did get my mobilty side of things as they thought i am ok, keep in mind i dont go out with out no one, as that i break down and start stressing about some areas when out and about, but they give me the highest rate for daily living. after 12 months of trying to get this benefits they done till May next year.

I am happy in one way but so worn out with what happened today. 

Hope all have luck in what you going to try and get and please keep pushing through, i couldnt of not done it with out someone being there today. 

Love all 

Pete

• Hi all, 

After my last post, i have some good and bad news. i went for my appeal today (23/03/2016), the people in front of me wouldnt let my mate speak on my behalf, i had to pull all my power to talk to them three people, it got that bad i was crying for about 10 mins due to the stress of what was being asked. i was in the room for about one hour. 

they sent me out of the room to pull myself together then got asked to go back in to be asked more questions, i did get my mobilty side of things as they thought i am ok, keep in mind i dont go out with out no one, as that i break down and start stressing about some areas when out and about, but they give me the highest rate for daily living. after 12 months of trying to get this benefits they done till May next year.

I am happy in one way but so worn out with what happened today. 

Hope all have luck in what you going to try and get and please keep pushing through, i couldnt of not done it with out someone being there today. 

Love all 

Pete

Children
No Data