17 yr Autistic daughter just refused PIP

Hi,

I am new to the forum as my daughter was only diagnosed with Austistic Spectrum Disorder last summer, after a year and a half of assessments. We applied for PIP last April (I am her appointee) and have just been sent a letter saying she will not receive it, despite never going out alone and not being able to cope with communication with people other than her immediate family, and that is limited. She scored 4 points for 'engaging with other people face to face' and 4 points for 'planning and following journeys'. Zero points for everything else, despite a face to face assessment where I explained that she goes out on average once a week, sometimes less, and is always accompanied. She has lots of sensitivities, particularly with food.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am preparing an appeal. It says on the covering letter ' I realise you have a disability or health condition and receiving this decision isn't the news you were hoping for'. It's a joke.

Parents
  • Yes, it's a bad joke, whether it's ATOS or somebody else running the assessments on behalf of the govt.  You are right to appeal, lots of appellants win after having experiences such as yours (where lots of 0s are scored).  Citizens Advice Bureau are a good help with appeals Check out the nas home pg on this issue.  If your council has a welfare rights dept or similar they can be v good also.  Some of the organisations I've mentioned have days where they go to community ctres or similar so people don't have to travel so far.  There is also an organisation called the Consumer Action Group who give loads of good advice, inc form letters etc on a wide variety of money issues, inc benefits.  I wd recommend you have a look at them.  You shd write your answers based on a "worst day" experience under each heading.  The process at assessment stage is cynical.  It comes as a shock to reasonable people.  The aim, imo, is to put people off by refusing in the 1st instance.  Keep at it, you'll get there. Smile  Check out other posts on this subject by doing a search on here. 

• Yes, it's a bad joke, whether it's ATOS or somebody else running the assessments on behalf of the govt.  You are right to appeal, lots of appellants win after having experiences such as yours (where lots of 0s are scored).  Citizens Advice Bureau are a good help with appeals Check out the nas home pg on this issue.  If your council has a welfare rights dept or similar they can be v good also.  Some of the organisations I've mentioned have days where they go to community ctres or similar so people don't have to travel so far.  There is also an organisation called the Consumer Action Group who give loads of good advice, inc form letters etc on a wide variety of money issues, inc benefits.  I wd recommend you have a look at them.  You shd write your answers based on a "worst day" experience under each heading.  The process at assessment stage is cynical.  It comes as a shock to reasonable people.  The aim, imo, is to put people off by refusing in the 1st instance.  Keep at it, you'll get there. Smile  Check out other posts on this subject by doing a search on here. 

Children