In England, are people with an ASD considered disabled and/or vulnerable under English Law?

In England, under English Law (Mental Health Capacity Act, Vunerable Adults Act, Disability Discrimination Act, Equalities Act, Autism Act, etc), are adults with an ASD considered to be disabled, mentally disabled, vulnerable adults, or similar?

And if so, what are the legal rights of such ASD suffers, what are they entitled to that differ from a non-ASD person, so on and so forth, etc? 

(I have Asperger Syndrome and suffer badly from depression, anxiety, paranoia, fear for the future, difficulty coping with change, etc.  So I am wondering whether I am considered as having a disablity, a mental disability, and/or considered a vulnerable adult.)

Parents
  • This is a debate I find difficult as I don't fit Hope's criteria. I was diagnosed seven years ago mid-fifties, but as having developed good coping strategies. My formal interface has improved greatly. The informal non-verbal relational world is limiting, and that caused problems fitting in at work, and also with aspects of the work, particularly where I have seemingly unresolvable gaps. It also means having to be pretty independent and manage everything on my own.

But on Hope's terms I probably don't have aspergers. I found the diagnosis gave me closure and helped me improve my coping strategies a great deal which improved my self esteem and self confidence, and has enabled me to be more relaxed about myself. So aside from my solitary side, and lack of a social/emotional/romantic life, am I cured?

I've a degree and PhD, have managed two careers, the first ending in the 1991/2 recession, now a retired university lecturer, have published several books. My puzzle is does that mean I don't really have a diagnosis of aspergers? 

Is there no point in getting a diagnosis if your problems can be overcome? I'm not saying AS is curable. I just wonder at people being completely negative - maybe that's an asperger attribute I don't have.

Apparently Daniel Tammet, who wrote "Born on a Blue Day" claims he doesn't now think he is on the spectrum. How does that help people on the spectrum?

Also what's the point in claiming Einstein, Newton, Bartok etc had asperger traits if the fact they were successful means they are not really on the spectrum?

• This is a debate I find difficult as I don't fit Hope's criteria. I was diagnosed seven years ago mid-fifties, but as having developed good coping strategies. My formal interface has improved greatly. The informal non-verbal relational world is limiting, and that caused problems fitting in at work, and also with aspects of the work, particularly where I have seemingly unresolvable gaps. It also means having to be pretty independent and manage everything on my own.

But on Hope's terms I probably don't have aspergers. I found the diagnosis gave me closure and helped me improve my coping strategies a great deal which improved my self esteem and self confidence, and has enabled me to be more relaxed about myself. So aside from my solitary side, and lack of a social/emotional/romantic life, am I cured?

I've a degree and PhD, have managed two careers, the first ending in the 1991/2 recession, now a retired university lecturer, have published several books. My puzzle is does that mean I don't really have a diagnosis of aspergers? 

Is there no point in getting a diagnosis if your problems can be overcome? I'm not saying AS is curable. I just wonder at people being completely negative - maybe that's an asperger attribute I don't have.

Apparently Daniel Tammet, who wrote "Born on a Blue Day" claims he doesn't now think he is on the spectrum. How does that help people on the spectrum?

Also what's the point in claiming Einstein, Newton, Bartok etc had asperger traits if the fact they were successful means they are not really on the spectrum?

Children
No Data