what should we say to those who are dismissive about asd

I keep seeing posts here, that say that it is hard to "come out" because there are people who think that aspergers is not real.

Someone has just posted that people think aspergers "did not exist in my day". Someone else said that it was thought to be almost trendy to claim you have it, so formal diagnosis is vital. Misconceptions abound.

I am no good at sharp responses to this kind of dismissive remark. We do not think on our feet. Perhaps we should pool our ideas of what to say, when those around us are dismissive.

Sadly, the only thing I can think of sounds a little rude.

We used to be labeled geeks and wierdos. Now we are recognised as being on the autism specrum.

Can any one else do better please?

Parents
  • I think it is not just NTs who deny the existence of autism. My Dad (pretty much 'stereotypical' AS) would pooh pooh the concept louder than anyone else I know. If I raised the issue it would fall into the category of "talking about ones ailments" which is a pet hate of his. And my mother, who has severe OCD and a superhuman memory for detail/time/place, suddenly developed selective amnesia when I told her I was investigating this.

I have several other relatives who would undoubtedly tick way more boxes than me on the triad of impairments. But they don't appear to have my sensory issues, and I have never seen any of them lose their temper as I can. All have successful careers, in fields where it is OK to be eccentric. One has commuted the same 5 hour route for 40 odd years, and sees it as a perk of his job rather than an inconvenience. Travels all over the world with other rail enthusiasts and always seems happy. I think he would be geniunely baffled why anyone would think he had a disability. 

• I think it is not just NTs who deny the existence of autism. My Dad (pretty much 'stereotypical' AS) would pooh pooh the concept louder than anyone else I know. If I raised the issue it would fall into the category of "talking about ones ailments" which is a pet hate of his. And my mother, who has severe OCD and a superhuman memory for detail/time/place, suddenly developed selective amnesia when I told her I was investigating this.

I have several other relatives who would undoubtedly tick way more boxes than me on the triad of impairments. But they don't appear to have my sensory issues, and I have never seen any of them lose their temper as I can. All have successful careers, in fields where it is OK to be eccentric. One has commuted the same 5 hour route for 40 odd years, and sees it as a perk of his job rather than an inconvenience. Travels all over the world with other rail enthusiasts and always seems happy. I think he would be geniunely baffled why anyone would think he had a disability. 

Children
No Data