what should we say to those who are dismissive about asd

I keep seeing posts here, that say that it is hard to "come out" because there are people who think that aspergers is not real.

Someone has just posted that people think aspergers "did not exist in my day". Someone else said that it was thought to be almost trendy to claim you have it, so formal diagnosis is vital. Misconceptions abound.

I am no good at sharp responses to this kind of dismissive remark. We do not think on our feet. Perhaps we should pool our ideas of what to say, when those around us are dismissive.

Sadly, the only thing I can think of sounds a little rude.

We used to be labeled geeks and wierdos. Now we are recognised as being on the autism specrum.

Can any one else do better please?

Parents
  • longman said:

I agree autism is a very difficult concept.There is scope for improving the situation if there's enough resolve and momentum.

The definition is hard to pin down. I rant on there about the Triad of Impairments being used to describe autism and living with autism, even though its intention was to diagnose autism, by highlighting characteristics that distinguish it from other conditions. People with marked autistic traits may show obvious Triad characteristics, but some much affected by autism don't, and as you move towards those who are abler, the triad becomes harder to identify.

Personally speaking, I have been diagnosed based on the triad and all of my work issues have stemmed from that triad. I have continually fallen foul of my blindness to social situations and communication proglems to the point where I am, yet again, currently trying to retrieve my job from the dustbin. The training materials from NAS are absolutely essential for describing the issues to my employer. I also have some of the sensory comorbidities but these are much less of an issue for me. If you aren't diagnosed through the triad then you don't have an ASD. If you just have the sensory issues then I guess you 'just' have SPD Sensory Processing Disorder? I put just in quotes because I recognise that some people are seriously disabled by that. I am at the top end of the functioning spectrum and nobody spotted ASD in me for 56 years but the triad is absolutely and straightforwardly easy to diagnose in me.

• longman said:

I agree autism is a very difficult concept.There is scope for improving the situation if there's enough resolve and momentum.

The definition is hard to pin down. I rant on there about the Triad of Impairments being used to describe autism and living with autism, even though its intention was to diagnose autism, by highlighting characteristics that distinguish it from other conditions. People with marked autistic traits may show obvious Triad characteristics, but some much affected by autism don't, and as you move towards those who are abler, the triad becomes harder to identify.

Personally speaking, I have been diagnosed based on the triad and all of my work issues have stemmed from that triad. I have continually fallen foul of my blindness to social situations and communication proglems to the point where I am, yet again, currently trying to retrieve my job from the dustbin. The training materials from NAS are absolutely essential for describing the issues to my employer. I also have some of the sensory comorbidities but these are much less of an issue for me. If you aren't diagnosed through the triad then you don't have an ASD. If you just have the sensory issues then I guess you 'just' have SPD Sensory Processing Disorder? I put just in quotes because I recognise that some people are seriously disabled by that. I am at the top end of the functioning spectrum and nobody spotted ASD in me for 56 years but the triad is absolutely and straightforwardly easy to diagnose in me.

Children
No Data