Humour, double meanings, sarcasm etc taking things literally.

In another discussion, this has been raised as an area which people on the spectrum find difficult.

I have found references to this problem in every book I have read so far.

As an undiagnosed person, this is one aspect that I find difficult to understand in relation to myself. If I am missing non verbal communications, I cannot be aware that I am. I am able, however, to understand quite a lot of the above, and have assumed so far, that this is just something that I have learned. (I'm another child of the 50s) So why is it such a big issue in books on asd?

People with aspergers are as intelligent, or more so, than nt people. So why would they be unable to learn that a phrase may have more than one meaning. Words with multiple meanings are commonplace, eg wind, cheque/check, love, row, tier/tear

. Do we not learn some of these things with time? I am slow at getting jokes, but get there in the end. 

Do other people here, find this to be a major issue? Is Frankie Howard really beyond the comprehansion of those on the spectrum? I don't mean to be rude in asking this, it is just the one thing I have read that really doesn't seam to fit.

Parents
  • I have to "do" casual conversation/banter/jokes by concious application of social priciples. This means my responses to basic social exchanges lack rapidity and "naturalness". I have been told more than once that I give the impression of having some sinister agenda!

• I have to "do" casual conversation/banter/jokes by concious application of social priciples. This means my responses to basic social exchanges lack rapidity and "naturalness". I have been told more than once that I give the impression of having some sinister agenda!

Children
No Data