Has anyone had an MRI scan before?

Hi sorry to ask this I don’t mean to cause offence. The reason I am asking is because I am having an MRI on Wednesday and I am absolutely terrified. I have been really ill having dizzy spells, headaches and sometimes vomiting. It’s like being drunk when I’m not. My friend who is also on the spectrum is taking me up in his car and is going to stay with me to offer support. The biggest issue is the dark tunnel and the noise when inside. I have had what I call freak outs which are mini metal downs over it. I have thought about cancelling but my friend keeps telling me don’t Rachel or you’ll regret it. I am going to take with me my favourite toy my pink squishmallow called cookie I hope that is allowed. If anyone wishes to share their experience with me I would really appreciate it. I am sorry for bringing a potentially sensitive topic up as well I wouldn’t have but I am really freaking out about this whole thing.

Parents
  • Hi Rach, I'm an old hand at MRI, I've just had what I think was my fourteenth (spread over many years), so I know a bit about them. It gets rather warm in there, it is tedious, boring and can be a bit noisy but there is nothing that is going to hurt you.  Some machines have a sort of periscope which enables you to see outside and into the room. You will have a button in your hand to push if you want to speak to the staff, and they will respond; if you really want them to stop, then they will. But of course it's better to get the scan done, it gives the consultant a great deal of valuable information.

NB: This has no connection to my autism

I hope it goes well for you.

Ben

• that button is what I hold most dear in the MRI machine. Bit, mostly I am curious how it works and why the machine makes that noise and how the magnets work to create the picture. Thinking about that also helped me wile it was going on.

• that button is what I hold most dear in the MRI machine. Bit, mostly I am curious how it works and why the machine makes that noise and how the magnets work to create the picture. Thinking about that also helped me wile it was going on.

Children
  • The MRI doesn't really create an image in the way traditional x-rays do. The magnet causes the protons in your body to align, then it sends a radio wave to knock them out of alignment, the radio wave is switched off and the computer measures the difference to create an image. I assume the switching on and off of these various bits make the noise.

Having anything remotely magnetic in the proximity of an MRI is not wise.