Thinking in images?

Hi first post here. I have found something that can help.

Question: do you have a mind that thinks in 2d or 3d images? For me every image was 3d and until I watched a video with Temple Grandin where she said she could only see an actual image, ie a 3d one.

I decided to try thinking in 2d drawings. However I could not if there was a 3d image in my mind and I could not seem to switch off the 3d image. I waited until I had no 3d image and found I could create a little 2d drawing. Then something happened. I actually had a thought directly about the drawing. It was a stick figure sitting at a screen and I thought "thats not good". I then drew other drawings in my mind and found I could think about them. THe thought was almost automatic but it was me doing it.

However if there is a 3d image I cant think about it. YES there are "words in my head" but its not about the image in the same way. In order to think I have to get rid of the 3d image to replace it with a 2d one, and then I can think correctly.

I now understand what I am doing wrong. Im not seeing a 2d image in a conversation. When someone says "do you see what I mean" they are asking for me to see an image. Previously there would be no image in my mind, thus I could not think about it. So what looks like lack of language is in fact lack of 2d images. You cant think about it if you dont see the 2d image. You cant think about 3d images.

I hope this helps others. Try turning off the 3d image or wait till it goes away and draw a little drawing in your head. Then try thinking about it. See what happens.

Parents
  • I think in 2d and 3d images, I've never had an issue imagining images. The issue I have is trying to describe those images to a person in a coherent and concise manner. Apparently, not all people can imagine images in their head (aphantasia), and not all people have an "inner voice" or an "inner dialogue" (anauralia). I find that perplexing, since I'm constantly imagining things or using my inner dialogue, to my dismay at times. 

• I think in 2d and 3d images, I've never had an issue imagining images. The issue I have is trying to describe those images to a person in a coherent and concise manner. Apparently, not all people can imagine images in their head (aphantasia), and not all people have an "inner voice" or an "inner dialogue" (anauralia). I find that perplexing, since I'm constantly imagining things or using my inner dialogue, to my dismay at times. 

Children
  • Hi hullabaloo. Are you imagining people and yourself in the 2d images? When I do that I can then react to the image and then it affects what I do. 

For example I thought about myself in front of the PC in 2d. Then I thought it was bad, so now I go outside more. Sounds funny but its actually true.

In addition I have some insights now into NT world. When someone says something its to affect a person not just talk about a fact. And this means actually what someone said changes your mind. In order for this to work people have to respond. With autism you are appearing to be stubborn because if you did not think about it, you would not have anything. You are analysing rather than responding naturally.