Interesting facts

I thought we could start a thread for sharing facts we love or find interesting/fun. Next time we're due to be in a social situation where it might be expected to share a fact as part of introducing ourselves, we can have this thread as a resource to look through so we have something ready. And at least as importantly I think, this can also be a space for info-dumping favourite facts about special interests. I'll start:

Parents
  • In Potawatomi, an Indigenous language spoken in parts of what we now know as Central America and Canada, only around 30% of the words are nouns. And then, instead of conjugating things according to gender like most European languages, Potawatomi conjugates according to animacy or inanimacy. For example, animals, plants, and natural elements are animate, while planes and phones are inanimate. 

• In Potawatomi, an Indigenous language spoken in parts of what we now know as Central America and Canada, only around 30% of the words are nouns. And then, instead of conjugating things according to gender like most European languages, Potawatomi conjugates according to animacy or inanimacy. For example, animals, plants, and natural elements are animate, while planes and phones are inanimate. 

Children