Myths

Myths are entertaining illusions. Autism myths are offensive to autistic people who are actually real. Autistic people are not on a par with dragons and sky fairies, nor are they lesser than neurotypical people. Myths are an excuse not to think, and by generalising autistic people, they dehumanise autistic individuals.

Thoughts?

Parents
  • I thought a myth was a female moth?

Seriously though, I think there are a lot of myths and when you come into contact with "helping" agencies, they tend to tell you things that you will and won't like, like beige food, as an autistic person I'm not supposed to like brightly coloured and spicy food?

I don't like the 'we're all on the spectrum somewhere' conversations, they feel dismissive, whilst they might technically be true, it dosen't help when one's struggling to comunicate and have ones needs heard and taken seriously. Nor are we all angels or demons, we can lie and be manipulative, we can be honest in our speech and actions. We encompass the whole range of human emotions and experiences, just because our brains are wired up a bit differently, we are still human. But there does seem to be a bias against admitting to ones humanity, humanity does many horrible things, but it does many good ones too and most of us do a bit of both at times, ASC or NT. I'd like to see more focus on the things we share with our NT kin, not other them or be othered, we need to see ourselves and others as more than a diagnosis.

• The 'we're all on the spectrum' myth is incredibly invalidating. And I think, while some people say that, they also secretly think actually autistic people are somehow lesser than them.

Reply Children
No Data