Work and disability laws any help would be greatly appreciated

So I guess as diagnosed in April, I have been off work since January.

at first I wasn’t going to inform work of my diagnosis, then I thought it may be helpful if I did so when I went back they might understand my situation better.

when I informed work all they said was ‘ having autism and a diagnosis doesn’t change anything because we know you can do the job as you have shown over the last few years’.

they still operate in the old times and I do believe that nothing will change.

can they just expect me to come back in and carry on?

this is not the first time I have suffered burnout, I had to take a few months off in 2022 also

• As  mentions, employers are obliged by law to provide reasonable adjustments to those employees who need them, but this only applies once they have been aware of your autism, disability or other issue.

You might find the information here helpful:

NAS - Support at work – a guide for autistic people

This NAS resource (above) also includes advice about bullying in the workplace, including how to recognise if you are being bullied, ways to help you if you are being bullied, and where you can go for support.

ACAS - Reasonable adjustments at work - What reasonable adjustments are

Employment Autism - I am applying for work

• If you like the job, it might be worth compiling a concrete list of accommodations that you think would be of benefit to you and sending it to your employers. They may find that the things you need are within their abilities. You would lose nothing by doing so. They may possibly be merely confused by what an autistic person might need in the way of accommodations.

• Thank you,

I don’t think I would be able to recommend any reasonable adjustments to help me go back to work if I’m honest. I liked my old office and whilst I’ve been of they even moved to a new office without informing me, I feel as though they think they own you once you are in a contract with them and my problem is I hate confrontation and it’s going to come down to a massive row when I try and leave again 

• Erm, we are only a small company of around 20 people and don’t have a hr team I can go to, the problem with our company is they are all ex builders and have the attitude of roll your sleeves up and get on with it. I feel as though my time at the company has come to an end, and even after offering my resignation 2 weeks ago this was declined and I was told to take as much time as I needed with no pressure from them. The only reason they said this is because we are a niche in what we do and it takes years of training to get to where I am and for any new starter. 
    I worth a lot of money to the company and they will dig their heels in if I try to leave. 
    Im still on the sick so I may just hand my notice of 12 weeks in and not go back

• When informed that an employee has a disability any employer is required by law to make 'reasonable accommodations'. Reasonable accommodations does not mean 'just enough to enable you to so the job', no it means that it enables you to function at work to the same level as any of your 'able' colleagues. So that you are not discriminated against. For example, if you can do the job, but the lighting in your office is painful for you and it causes tiredness and anxiety, then obviously the work environment is not equal between you and other colleagues. A reasonable adjustment would be to move you to an office with lighting that does not cause you distress or changing the lighting.

If you are not a member of a trades union, I would recommend joining one, as their 'case workers' can help you get your lawful rights.