Stuggling with Intensive CBT

Back before I was diagnosed with, or even thought about, having Autism I was struggling with my mental health. I looked at PTSD and Complex PTSD, both of which came out as a negative result. After meeting with a consultant psychiatrist he advised that I need assistance dealing with trauma which started in childhood and continued in various forms throughout my adult life. He suggested, and referred me for Intensive CBT. 

Forward on 18 months or so and I have been diagnosed with Autism and realise that a lot of my issues and behaviours could be attributed to my then undiagnosed Autism. Three weeks ago I have now started the Intensive CBT for GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) and am struggling to believe it will help me. The therapist has explained that my anxieties with fit into two categories which are 'Real' and 'Hypothetical'. She then went on to say that regarding the Hypothetical anxieties I need to just "forget about them and move on" and that she can only help with the "real stuff".

I am not an expert in Autism but I'm pretty sure that's like asking me not to breath, eat or drink. I need help dealing with things when my brain is flooded with hypothetical anxiety, as this is what leads onto the meltdowns and socially unacceptable behaviour. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. I have done some online searching and it appears the ABA may help but it seems more aimed at people with learning disabilities, which I don't have.

Thanks

Parents
  • I did CBT for anxiety some years ago, before I knew or even suspected I was autistic. I found parts of it helpful for that, and aspects of my self hatred. I have since had some CBT for depression and did not find it helpful at all, in fact, it even made me feel worse. 

• I did CBT for anxiety some years ago, before I knew or even suspected I was autistic. I found parts of it helpful for that, and aspects of my self hatred. I have since had some CBT for depression and did not find it helpful at all, in fact, it even made me feel worse. 

Children