Jury Service as an autistic adult

Hi, I've been called for Jury Service and am wondering if anyone has any experience of it please?  Specifically, I have to fill in the form and return it in 7 days and it asks about reasonable adjustments - I'm not sure whether to say I'm autistic or not because the main thing that might happen is I get so overwhelmed I have a panic attack - but I don't know if that's going to happen or not .  I don't want them to say I can't do it incase this happens because it might not and then I'd miss out on something I would find very interesting.

What to do ??

Parents
  • Being called for jury service (Scotland) last year was the thing that triggered my breakdown and resulted in me moving back in with my mum for almost a year. I found the whole process extremely stressful, despite it only lasting for three days and never actually needing to go into a court session. At the time I was not aware of my autism, and didn't feel that being anxious about the process was enough of a reason to get a GP letter for an excusal. I called up a couple of days before and explained that I might have a panic attack in court and would that be ok, but they said they couldn't do anything without the GP letter so I just had to go through with it. 

It was a massive disruption to my routine, I didn't know til the morning of if I would be needed, I was stuck in a room with a bunch of strangers, we'd constantly be told to go away and come back in a few hours, then told eventually that we weren't needed that day. The process to recover lost earnings (I'm self employed) was so complicated that I never got the money back and it burnt me out so much that I couldn't live in my flat without help for daily tasks.

Get the excusal letter from your GP. 

• Being called for jury service (Scotland) last year was the thing that triggered my breakdown and resulted in me moving back in with my mum for almost a year. I found the whole process extremely stressful, despite it only lasting for three days and never actually needing to go into a court session. At the time I was not aware of my autism, and didn't feel that being anxious about the process was enough of a reason to get a GP letter for an excusal. I called up a couple of days before and explained that I might have a panic attack in court and would that be ok, but they said they couldn't do anything without the GP letter so I just had to go through with it. 

It was a massive disruption to my routine, I didn't know til the morning of if I would be needed, I was stuck in a room with a bunch of strangers, we'd constantly be told to go away and come back in a few hours, then told eventually that we weren't needed that day. The process to recover lost earnings (I'm self employed) was so complicated that I never got the money back and it burnt me out so much that I couldn't live in my flat without help for daily tasks.

Get the excusal letter from your GP. 

Children
No Data