Sleep!!!

Does Anyone With ASD Have Major Sleep Priblems! My Sleep Is atrocious and ive had lots of medication from my GP but nothing helps. Started doing sleep diarys to compress my sleep but still struggle. Doesnt help the environment im in i.e flat with dogs barking continuously, tvs loud, banging noises all of which irritate the life out of me!!!!! Ive also tried a snooze band with calming music, pillow sprays, weighted blankets, loop earplugs but nothing seems to be helping. It effects my mood massively and feel fatigued constantly. Anyone else relate and have any other options i just find it so hard to relax, always have to be on the go! Thanks! 

Parents
  • In my experience and from helping other autistics, if you've been given SSRIs or anti depressants or anything which further lowers GABA, it will make it worse as this is the gut-brain axis which also helps regulate sleep, aids filtering external stimuli and calm excited out-of-control and looping thoughts. I take a mushroom based nootropics supplement daily with Lions Mane and Reishi. Always recommend a healthy dose of mushrooms to boost this.

• I wrote something about your post about SSRIs lowering gaba. I just said that this is not the case. You know serotonin is quite similar to GABA actually as serotonin is the second biggest inhibitory neurotransmitter. This is why it works so well for anxiety disorders amongst many people. However autism is more complex than giving an SSRI for it. But yeh they do help. I haven’t heard about lions mane mushrooms. Are they good for gaba? I take the vitamins B6 for GABA production it works for me. Only supplement I have tried that actually works. I don’t understand the mechanism for why it works but it does for me. Probably the fact that it is like a CNS depressant that turns glutamate (excitatory) into GABA and kinda shuts down the excitation. Yeh it’s cool. 

• Some neurotransmitters aren't affected, others are. I do recall reading a paper recently that stated companies were trying to make antidepressants which wouldn't affect certain GABA neurotransmitters to the degree some do. There is an Alphabet of different types of GABA, but the umbrella term appears used quite often to refer to what they all seem to do.

It seems mushroom contain building blocks for these neurotransmitters, so it's a good long-term support. I also recommend Ashwaganda for long term. Feel Gud has a mushroom + ashwaganda combination. Sunshine is worth seizing when the opportunity arises as well. 

But in a pinch, there is literally a drug designed to boost GABA. I'm quite big on Moderation, so would never suggest a long-term use. But having been given a small prescription, found it enabled me to think clearly and aid sleep: no sleep can be deadly, so better of two evils. That clarity of thought was all that was needed to begin to fix the external problem causing unnecessary stress-induced-anxiety. And it took a long time to get to where I rarely need a medical-grade boost. 

One thing I have stressed is that Autistics are using the term "Anxiety" when we often need to use the word "stress" - and by stress, emphasise the biological effects. Because Anxiety in NT-speak has come to mean a type of paranoia as that appears to be the instigator for most NT anxious thought. 

There are still mixed studies and it could depend on the brand. But a quick search pulls this https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/20/17/4247

Then there's ones where the anti depressant boosts one kind of transmitter but lowers another. It's a bit all over the map right now if you peel through these journals.

What I know for certain is what I've experienced, which is why I state this. 

• Some neurotransmitters aren't affected, others are. I do recall reading a paper recently that stated companies were trying to make antidepressants which wouldn't affect certain GABA neurotransmitters to the degree some do. There is an Alphabet of different types of GABA, but the umbrella term appears used quite often to refer to what they all seem to do.

It seems mushroom contain building blocks for these neurotransmitters, so it's a good long-term support. I also recommend Ashwaganda for long term. Feel Gud has a mushroom + ashwaganda combination. Sunshine is worth seizing when the opportunity arises as well. 

But in a pinch, there is literally a drug designed to boost GABA. I'm quite big on Moderation, so would never suggest a long-term use. But having been given a small prescription, found it enabled me to think clearly and aid sleep: no sleep can be deadly, so better of two evils. That clarity of thought was all that was needed to begin to fix the external problem causing unnecessary stress-induced-anxiety. And it took a long time to get to where I rarely need a medical-grade boost. 

One thing I have stressed is that Autistics are using the term "Anxiety" when we often need to use the word "stress" - and by stress, emphasise the biological effects. Because Anxiety in NT-speak has come to mean a type of paranoia as that appears to be the instigator for most NT anxious thought. 

There are still mixed studies and it could depend on the brand. But a quick search pulls this https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/20/17/4247

Then there's ones where the anti depressant boosts one kind of transmitter but lowers another. It's a bit all over the map right now if you peel through these journals.

What I know for certain is what I've experienced, which is why I state this. 

Children