Are there any unwealthy autistic persons here?

By that I mean those receiving universal credit/ESA or pension credit(if old enough). Those who live in social housing, and aren't well off enough to be home owners.

Parents
  • I was raised fairly middle class but post university I was on a pretty low wage and although I bought a house back in 1987 I was plunged into 30% negative equity within a year of buying.

Later separation from my partner left me broke but I got another job, bought a really cheap house (mortgaged) and managed to find a job that paid well for a few years where I was also able to buy a second house, end up married to someone who was not working and had a crash in the job market that had me move to Germany for some better paying work.

6 years later my wifes business went bust and we were nearly bankrupt and we moved back to the UK where I got another lowish paying job and we rented.

11 years after struggling through this we bought a "fixer upper" Victorian place (mortgaged) on the south coast and managed to make a decent chunk of cash followed by another a few years later that made a big chunk and I was able to retire to Brazil where I do a mix of property flipping and charity work.

So I've been broke a few times, wealthy a few times and most stages in between. Discipline and perseverence are the keys to overcoming what holds you back in my experience although I realise not all are able to do this

• I was raised fairly middle class but post university I was on a pretty low wage and although I bought a house back in 1987 I was plunged into 30% negative equity within a year of buying.

Later separation from my partner left me broke but I got another job, bought a really cheap house (mortgaged) and managed to find a job that paid well for a few years where I was also able to buy a second house, end up married to someone who was not working and had a crash in the job market that had me move to Germany for some better paying work.

6 years later my wifes business went bust and we were nearly bankrupt and we moved back to the UK where I got another lowish paying job and we rented.

11 years after struggling through this we bought a "fixer upper" Victorian place (mortgaged) on the south coast and managed to make a decent chunk of cash followed by another a few years later that made a big chunk and I was able to retire to Brazil where I do a mix of property flipping and charity work.

So I've been broke a few times, wealthy a few times and most stages in between. Discipline and perseverence are the keys to overcoming what holds you back in my experience although I realise not all are able to do this

Children
  • That's an amazing story, Iain! I was just looking at Brazil on the TV last night, thinking it looked like a fascinating place. What's it like to retire there? Is it easy to do from an immigration point of view? I often dream of escaping the UK. 

• I was raised fairly middle class

My parents came from a lower middle class background. Bother were very intelligent. For different reasons they chose not to go to university.  My father was a commissioned army officer for a short period of time before switching to work at the Foreign office a short time later. That's where he meet my mother. We weren't anywhere near being an 'elite' family, but we were better off financially than most other families. We were 'solidly middle class'. I'd say that the FO  paid a lot of the private education fees.

My sister is the only one out of the 3 of us to have had a successful professional career. My brother worked in restaurants before becoming ill. I never had a paid job. Compared to my father, in the way such things tend to be done, I'm a total and absolute failure.

Him - Army officer, diplomat, OBE, Who's who entry, protocol advisor to the Atlanta Olympic games

Me- Never had a paid job. Psychiatric patient for over 50 years,late diagnosed autistic.