Are there any unwealthy autistic persons here?

By that I mean those receiving universal credit/ESA or pension credit(if old enough). Those who live in social housing, and aren't well off enough to be home owners.

Parents
  • I'm surprised that you think that those who work without benefits are wealthy.

I was working as a legal secretary when I had a traffic accident.

The compensation allowed me to put a deposit on a flat purchase.

However, paying a mortgage and all the associated bills on a single unprofessional salary meant I was poor not wealthy.

• This. I work and claim no benefits, I’m in social housing, I can barely afford my rent let alone all other bills and food. I’m very poor financially which only contributes to my mental health problems. 

• This. I work and claim no benefits, I’m in social housing, I can barely afford my rent let alone all other bills and food. I’m very poor financially which only contributes to my mental health problems. 

Children
  • This is pretty much the same as me. I tried various jobs but never lasted a year before walking out. Signing on, finding the entire process terrifying then having to find another job when I’d exhausted anyway to survive outside of that. This country doesn’t really care about people like us though. I’m sorry you went through it too. Hugs back at you. 

• Thank you re the accident.

It was a long time ago.

I imagine a lot of people think you have it together if you work and presume you don’t have severe issues, not the case for me. 

Yep.

I broke down in several jobs and just walked out + had long periods off sick, often unpaid, with no savings.

I found working incredibly hard and as a single person, without another salary to depend on, it's precarious.

Virtual hug.

• Thanks Debbie. Sorry to hear about your accident too. 

Im also self employed so set wages are never guaranteed, and issues with complete burnout make it difficult too. I don’t have it in me to go through a benefit process though so it is what it is. I imagine a lot of people think you have it together if you work and presume you don’t have severe issues, not the case for me. 

• I’m very poor financially which only contributes to my mental health problems. 

I'm sorry to read this.

Constant anxiety about money is very debilitating.