Anyone got advice. Friends brother had asd assessment come back as he is not autistic. But it seems unfair.

So asd would explain so much of how my friends brother is as a person and how he experiences life. So he went through the wait for the assessment. Which many will know is a stressful time. But like many of us he wanted the knowledge to be able to understand. 

The assessor said he is not autistic but his reasoning seems unfair. For example when asked about special interests he said birds.  But the assessor said they like birds too so it not really a special interest.  But he doesn't just like birds, he is fascinated by them and spends so much time learning about them. And drawing them. He even has birds that follow him if he leaves the house because the birds know he takes food for them everywhere he goes.

I'm not a asd assessor and don't have the training to diagnose it.  But autism would fit this person so well. And it seems unfair that the whole diagnosis he got was based on such a small part of autism which the assessor seemed to not understand at all.

Has anyone got any advise or knows if there is a way to appeal or get a second opinion in such cases without him having to self fund. He lives in Scotland if that changes anything.

Sorry if I've not quite explained that right, I hope it makes sense.

Parents
  • This sounds pretty poor in my opinion. Went private myself, and so the assessment process was very well explained: first a 'triage' type interview with a nurse to see if I presented enough indications to merit further investigation. Which I did. Second phase was the main event: a lengthy video meeting with a relative (parents long gone) to discuss my upbringing and early development, and a real doozy of a one-on-one interview with a psychologist to assess me as I am now. A panel of experts reviewed the results of these and a verdict was provided at the end of the day, followed by a formal report a month later.

That first interview is not meant to be a diagnosis, but an indication if pursuing the full ASD assessment is necessary and the right thing to do. Makes me a bit cross actually, that in this case poor interviewing technique is implied. Absolutely must have followed-up with "what is it you find interesting about birds?" or similar in order to tease out the details from a likely very shy subject.

• This sounds pretty poor in my opinion. Went private myself, and so the assessment process was very well explained: first a 'triage' type interview with a nurse to see if I presented enough indications to merit further investigation. Which I did. Second phase was the main event: a lengthy video meeting with a relative (parents long gone) to discuss my upbringing and early development, and a real doozy of a one-on-one interview with a psychologist to assess me as I am now. A panel of experts reviewed the results of these and a verdict was provided at the end of the day, followed by a formal report a month later.

That first interview is not meant to be a diagnosis, but an indication if pursuing the full ASD assessment is necessary and the right thing to do. Makes me a bit cross actually, that in this case poor interviewing technique is implied. Absolutely must have followed-up with "what is it you find interesting about birds?" or similar in order to tease out the details from a likely very shy subject.

Children
No Data