The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

Parents
  • I most probably got an interest in music later in childhood, the film ‘Grease’ most definitely sparked an interest. I had been bought up on a diet of Elvis and Country music.

One of my  earliest memories is the Bay City Rollers, my cousin had all their records, when I had to go and live at my aunts, she would play them for me.

From about the age of about 10, Sunday evenings we're the highlight of the weekends, the new top 40 was released on the steam powered wireless. I would huddle, microphone in hand and wait for the DJ to stop talking, Sunday evening was bath night so someone would normally walk in to inform me of this fact just as a  track started.

It wasn’t until I got a paper round that I could fund any music of my own, an ex jukebox copy of The Rivers of Babylon was my first purchase for the princely sum of 20p.

Bruce Springsteen became an interest and still is, Madness and Bad Manners were always in the charts.

I listen to anything from the Laurel & Hardy theme tune (Dance of the Cuckoo’s) to Puccini. Many 70’s and 80’s groups still  greatly interest me. Big interest in Talking Heads at the moment.

• I don't think I've ever seen Grease all the way through, or Saturday Night Fever to me they were just cringe worthy, especially Grease, I think they put me off musicals for life and John Travolta until I saw him in the film Michael.

• I don't think I've ever seen Grease all the way through, or Saturday Night Fever to me they were just cringe worthy, especially Grease, I think they put me off musicals for life and John Travolta until I saw him in the film Michael.

Children
  • I found it was the first musical that didn’t make me want to stick my fingers in my ears and eyes, up to then musicals were all top hats, canes and strange female dancers dressed in feathers. I’ve never seen Michael but did enjoy Travolta In Phenomenon and Broken Arrow.