Network for autistic professionals?

Hello,

1. I've recently been diagnosed as autistic and am looking for a network of autistic professionals who come together to talk about working as autistic people and share challenges and advice to help each other.

Does anyone know if something like this exists?

Parents
  • I'm not aware of one, but it sounds like a good idea. My only question would be who would count as a professional? Would I as a former self employed hairdresser be welcome in this group?

• The Cambridge Dictionary describes professionals as  " having the type of job that is respected because it involves a high level of education and training."  Traditionally professionals were the clergy, physicians, surgeons and dentists, lawyers and notaries, university lecturers and teachers with degrees.* Also included were officers and senior NCOs in the military, and higher-grade civil servants.

The new professions are generally considered to include finance (actuaries, accountants, bankers, stock brokers, insurance etc.) land (architects, surveyors), professions related to health and medicine ( e.g. pharmacy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy) human services such as social work, chartered psychologists, etc.)  and chartered engineers. There is also a case for members of professional bodies of managers, HR professionals and other corporate services with appropriate experience and qualifications.) I am sure I have forgotten some, if so, apologies!

What were once "skilled manual" occupations such as police officers and firefighters are now working towards professional status - police officers in some forces now require at least NVQ3, two A-Levels or equivalent prior appointment, and many officers are graduates.

In the 20th Century, we have seen the "professionalisation" of occupations such as nursing and social work, with the growth of a body of academic knowledge, the requirement for a university education, supervised practical learning, a code of ethics and a regulatory body. Often with professionalism comes a protected title, i.e. it is illegal to describe oneself as a nurse, a social worker etc. unless qualified and registered.

I would say a working definition might include  (a) formal higher education (university degree or diploma, NVQ4 qualification) or equivalent; (b) formal supervised practical training; (c) a Code of Ethics and accountability either to a professional body or an external regulator.

That said, in terms of a support group, nothing is gained from being "snobby" - we can use the other definition of "professional" as somebody who earns a living by their occupation, as in professional footballers etc.. By this definition, IMHBCO, a qualified, experienced hairdresser could be seen as meeting the definition of a professional.

* At one time, primary teachers (often educated middle-class women) did not need degrees, but teachers in secondary schools usually had university degrees and/or membership of the College of Preceptors or similar. Then primary teachers qualified with a two-year Certificate in Education from a College of Education. Now almost all new qualified teachers are graduates.  The same applies to other professionals that were originally female-oriented such as social work and nursing. As roles changed, academic requirements increased and we saw formal nurse registration qualifications and the Certificate of Qualification in Social Work. Newly qualified nurses and social workers are now graduates.

This links to the Government policy that more people should go to university - no matter that there are not enough graduate-level jobs. As far back as 1990 I advertised for an admin post in the NHS, and the first cut left me with over fifty graduates before the serious short-listing started. We are now realising that for many professions, what is needed in practical on-the-job training alongside academic skills. But that is a hobby-horse for another occasion ...

• The Cambridge Dictionary describes professionals as  " having the type of job that is respected because it involves a high level of education and training."  Traditionally professionals were the clergy, physicians, surgeons and dentists, lawyers and notaries, university lecturers and teachers with degrees.* Also included were officers and senior NCOs in the military, and higher-grade civil servants.

The new professions are generally considered to include finance (actuaries, accountants, bankers, stock brokers, insurance etc.) land (architects, surveyors), professions related to health and medicine ( e.g. pharmacy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy) human services such as social work, chartered psychologists, etc.)  and chartered engineers. There is also a case for members of professional bodies of managers, HR professionals and other corporate services with appropriate experience and qualifications.) I am sure I have forgotten some, if so, apologies!

What were once "skilled manual" occupations such as police officers and firefighters are now working towards professional status - police officers in some forces now require at least NVQ3, two A-Levels or equivalent prior appointment, and many officers are graduates.

In the 20th Century, we have seen the "professionalisation" of occupations such as nursing and social work, with the growth of a body of academic knowledge, the requirement for a university education, supervised practical learning, a code of ethics and a regulatory body. Often with professionalism comes a protected title, i.e. it is illegal to describe oneself as a nurse, a social worker etc. unless qualified and registered.

I would say a working definition might include  (a) formal higher education (university degree or diploma, NVQ4 qualification) or equivalent; (b) formal supervised practical training; (c) a Code of Ethics and accountability either to a professional body or an external regulator.

That said, in terms of a support group, nothing is gained from being "snobby" - we can use the other definition of "professional" as somebody who earns a living by their occupation, as in professional footballers etc.. By this definition, IMHBCO, a qualified, experienced hairdresser could be seen as meeting the definition of a professional.

* At one time, primary teachers (often educated middle-class women) did not need degrees, but teachers in secondary schools usually had university degrees and/or membership of the College of Preceptors or similar. Then primary teachers qualified with a two-year Certificate in Education from a College of Education. Now almost all new qualified teachers are graduates.  The same applies to other professionals that were originally female-oriented such as social work and nursing. As roles changed, academic requirements increased and we saw formal nurse registration qualifications and the Certificate of Qualification in Social Work. Newly qualified nurses and social workers are now graduates.

This links to the Government policy that more people should go to university - no matter that there are not enough graduate-level jobs. As far back as 1990 I advertised for an admin post in the NHS, and the first cut left me with over fifty graduates before the serious short-listing started. We are now realising that for many professions, what is needed in practical on-the-job training alongside academic skills. But that is a hobby-horse for another occasion ...

Children
No Data