How many of us are only children?

I'm an only child. I wondered if anyone find similarities between being an only child and autism?

Parents
  • I think there are pluses and minuses. As an only child there is no one else to get the blame for things and I spent a lot of time with older relatives and parents friends so in some ways I did adult things at an earlier age. If I got spoiled it tended to be the other adults I saw.

My Mum taught me to cook at a young age too so I could always cook if I wanted to. However my NT Mum had wished she had had siblings, so invited families with children to visit and stay a lot. One time I remember that was fun was when it snowed and my cousins had to stay longer so I had others to play with in the snow.

Now I find there is no one left who remembers things about my childhood. That is something I would have liked.

• I think there are pluses and minuses. As an only child there is no one else to get the blame for things and I spent a lot of time with older relatives and parents friends so in some ways I did adult things at an earlier age. If I got spoiled it tended to be the other adults I saw.

My Mum taught me to cook at a young age too so I could always cook if I wanted to. However my NT Mum had wished she had had siblings, so invited families with children to visit and stay a lot. One time I remember that was fun was when it snowed and my cousins had to stay longer so I had others to play with in the snow.

Now I find there is no one left who remembers things about my childhood. That is something I would have liked.

Children
  • I think it's hard when there's no one to say 'remember when..' with, especially as people age and die, I remember a friend having to clear her parents house out after they died and I know she found it so hard having no one to share it with, she said the hardest things were the little ones, like xmas decorations.

I rarely saw my cousins most were much older than me anyway, we rarely had people over to the house and nobody ever stayed the night. I lerned to cook at a young age too, but it was because I wanted to, my Mum says she remembers bits of pastry that were all grey and hairy from being overhandled and dropped when I was little. My daughter showed an interest in cooking from a young age too.