Siblings

So my 5year old has autism. He hits his older brother age 8. It's like he is the one who gets a lot taken out on him . how do I help them both. This is all new to me posting on a site like this .

Thank you from a struggling parent 

Parents
  • Thinking of your 8 year old Son; I wondered if you had found the below National Autistic Society webpage.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/family-life-and-relationships/family-life/siblings 

One area I would add from my own thoughts; is highlighting the importance of (if possible) introducing a protected schedule of 1 to 1 time (8 year old with a Parent) visiting somewhere outside of the home environment. 

It need not be somewhere as "entertainment", or fancy, or formal. 

More, it is about a habitual time being available; going somewhere, or doing something, or completing an errand together, or just sat together somewhere - away from home looking at something of joint interest - thereby, hopefully acting as a steam valve release - of time for themselves with a Parent - as something they can rely upon.

When / where they might feel it is their time (and sometimes it might be naturally a less pressured / competitive scenario in which he might come to feel confident to raise worries to talk through, or share the airing of hopes / goals / aspirations / observations, or to explore and learn about things perhaps causing confusion or disappointment ...without fear of interruption, judgement, or ridicule).

The time together is the important aspect. 

The location or activity are very much just the supporting cast.

The intention is not for the time to become an interrogation or examination - rather, a safe space for the young person to use as provides validation / support (if required that time). 

Along the way, ideally, there should not need to be an excuse, justification, or permission for sharing some: fun, enjoyment, daft behaviour, solidarity and self-confidence reinforcement.

• Thinking of your 8 year old Son; I wondered if you had found the below National Autistic Society webpage.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/family-life-and-relationships/family-life/siblings 

One area I would add from my own thoughts; is highlighting the importance of (if possible) introducing a protected schedule of 1 to 1 time (8 year old with a Parent) visiting somewhere outside of the home environment. 

It need not be somewhere as "entertainment", or fancy, or formal. 

More, it is about a habitual time being available; going somewhere, or doing something, or completing an errand together, or just sat together somewhere - away from home looking at something of joint interest - thereby, hopefully acting as a steam valve release - of time for themselves with a Parent - as something they can rely upon.

When / where they might feel it is their time (and sometimes it might be naturally a less pressured / competitive scenario in which he might come to feel confident to raise worries to talk through, or share the airing of hopes / goals / aspirations / observations, or to explore and learn about things perhaps causing confusion or disappointment ...without fear of interruption, judgement, or ridicule).

The time together is the important aspect. 

The location or activity are very much just the supporting cast.

The intention is not for the time to become an interrogation or examination - rather, a safe space for the young person to use as provides validation / support (if required that time). 

Along the way, ideally, there should not need to be an excuse, justification, or permission for sharing some: fun, enjoyment, daft behaviour, solidarity and self-confidence reinforcement.

Children
No Data