Do you like or want to - work?

I have recently retired from work. It was long awaited and I have not missed the job at all ( the people I worked with were nice, but the job itself had become a mixture of stressful and tedious)

I have never particularly enjoyed working. I have got some sense of satisfaction from doing a job well during certain periods of my working life, but in most jobs I had there were people - mostly managers - who I really did not enjoy spending my days with. I get bored quickly and so jobs became mundane in a short period of time, and if I put myself forward to do higher level tasks (that I was capable of) I was either refused the role or ended up doing the higher level stuff without getting the extra pay for it. And I've suffered burn out from time to time due to the stress of work making me exhausted.

I know that a lot of autistic people are unable to work but would like to, and that many people get a sense of self worth from working and a better lifestyle (due to having wages) But I feel that society may over value work in some ways, and that maybe it programmes us to think that not working is lazy or unproductive? However there are some wealthy people who do little to no work and nobody calls them lazy. I heard a saying somewhere that I like: "we're human beings, not human doings". Perhaps that's a good answer next time someone asks - "so, what do you do?"

I just wondered what everyone's views were about working?

If you currently work, would you give up working if you became financially independent?

If you do not work but would like to, or want a career change, what would your dream job be?

If you do not work and have no wish to, or are retired or cannot work due to health reasons, how do you structure your days?

Parents
  • This is a very touchy subject.

All I will say is that the social safety net exists for a reason.  And no one should be ashamed to claim what they are  legally entitled to claim.

• I’m unable to work and I am very worried that Labour will force people who can’t work work do you think they will force everyone to work even if they can’t?

• I hope not - as they are left wing I believe they should be supportive of those who need support, while the Tories are supposed to be uncaring b****ards who want everyone to look out for themselves, but I'm not sure that's the case any more.

• Do you have actual evidence, or is this just more paranoid anti-vax rhetoric?

• I completely agree with you.

• I am sorry but I have to disagree. Coming from a scientific background PEOPLE DIED (sorry for shouting). We were dealing with an unknown disease at the time with no cure and spreading like wildfire. A lot of people were and still are at severe risk if they catch covid. I believe that vaccinations should be mandatory but it is a balancing act. Now everyone thinks it's back to normal but I will tell you now it aint over for a lot of people and never will be.

Having been involved in the front line for the early part of the pandemic and it was scary as feck. Everybody had to make sacrifices for the greater good.

This is a bit of a touchy subject for me so I will politely just agree to disagree is it is quite triggering.

• Just imagine if Labour had been in office during Covid? We would have had armed police and military deployed on our streets to enforce Covid Rules, patrolling supermarkets looking for any violations (without any exemptions being permitted) as in opposition, Labour kept banging on about the Tories Covid restrictions not being severe and strictly enforced enough, which in Labour-controlled council areas, they went really OTT in enforcing Covid rules - as regards vaccine mandates, Labour would have went much further in enforcing same, including empowering police and milltary to do forced vaccinations, as we saw with disabled children in Alberta Canada and the Indian Army and police in Rural India - in Ireland the police prevented people from being present at their grandparents passing, funerals and burials, except via zoom and prevented old people from going to Mass in Rural Ireland, arresting people under the amended Irish mental treatment act and using the same act to force vaccinations, even in the case of people being on remand and in Irish jails - Irish parents who objected to their children being vaccinated in Irish schools and who homeschooled them instead had the Gardai (Irish police) taking those children into Irish state care (TUSLA) where they ended up being forcibly vaccinated - many of these children and adults ended up getting serious side effects from the vaccines and normal healthy (traumatised) children and adults ended up getting heart attacks, strokes, myocarditis, cancers, blood clotting and as revealed by Irish funeral directors before cremation (preferable to burial) “sudden” deaths became “normalised” as in “sudden death syndrome” meaning that half of all young Irish children and babies, not previously thought to be at risk before Covid were lost following the implementation of Covid mandates in Ireland 

• We'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

Reply Children
No Data