Is it okay to feel this way?

I see being neurodivergent as being genuinely disabling. I want a cure, I want to be normal. Is it okay to feel this way?

Parents
  • Have you considered that a 'miraculously normalised' you, would not be you? Many autistic people would like their more distressing traits, for example heightened anxiety, neutralised or blunted, but would like to keep their good traits, for example joy in very focused interests, and therefore retain their autistic identity.

• Yes - I agree. I’ve battled anxiety my whole life and it’s been incredibly hard, I’ve contemplated suicide many times. I’d never minimise how hard being autistic can make life. But we have a lot to offer and I strongly belief that life is worth living and life is truly precious- and it’s worth persevering because we can be happy and we can enjoy life - we just need to make what adjustments we can to make that possible. 

• Yes - I agree. I’ve battled anxiety my whole life and it’s been incredibly hard, I’ve contemplated suicide many times. I’d never minimise how hard being autistic can make life. But we have a lot to offer and I strongly belief that life is worth living and life is truly precious- and it’s worth persevering because we can be happy and we can enjoy life - we just need to make what adjustments we can to make that possible. 

Children
No Data