Is it okay to feel this way?

I see being neurodivergent as being genuinely disabling. I want a cure, I want to be normal. Is it okay to feel this way?

Parents
  • Your thoughts and feelings are completely valid and you don’t need to feel guilty or bad in any way for having them. When something is making your life more difficult in some way (and in my experience being autistic makes many aspects of live more difficult) it’s natural to sometimes want to ‘wish it away’. However we cannot get rid of ‘our autism’ - it’s an intrinsic part of us. Wishing away our autistic nature is wishing away ourselves. It’s not kind to ourselves to want to obliterate an intrinsic aspect of ourselves - it would be like a kind of ‘amputation’ - and that would be pretty brutal! 
    In my own experience a more helpful approach has been to be accepting of myself and my difficulties - to be more forgiving of myself when I’m struggling, and to do my best to focus of the positive aspects of my character - many of which are definitely related to my autism (for example my honesty, by concentration and knowledge of certain subjects etc etc). 
    I think most of us who are autistic know that there are disadvantages but also definitely advantages. We won’t help ourselves or those around us by focussing on the negatives and just wishing them away. A better approach is to be creative and find ways to make the disadvantages more manageable, and work on our life skills to make life a bit easier. 
    I think we can enjoy life more when we can accept that life is a mixture of positives and negatives (for everyone - not just autistic people) and if we just constantly battle everything we only end up worn out and feeling hopeless. Accepting being autistic - and hopefully embracing it - leads to a more peaceful and happier life. 

• Your thoughts and feelings are completely valid and you don’t need to feel guilty or bad in any way for having them. When something is making your life more difficult in some way (and in my experience being autistic makes many aspects of live more difficult) it’s natural to sometimes want to ‘wish it away’. However we cannot get rid of ‘our autism’ - it’s an intrinsic part of us. Wishing away our autistic nature is wishing away ourselves. It’s not kind to ourselves to want to obliterate an intrinsic aspect of ourselves - it would be like a kind of ‘amputation’ - and that would be pretty brutal! 
    In my own experience a more helpful approach has been to be accepting of myself and my difficulties - to be more forgiving of myself when I’m struggling, and to do my best to focus of the positive aspects of my character - many of which are definitely related to my autism (for example my honesty, by concentration and knowledge of certain subjects etc etc). 
    I think most of us who are autistic know that there are disadvantages but also definitely advantages. We won’t help ourselves or those around us by focussing on the negatives and just wishing them away. A better approach is to be creative and find ways to make the disadvantages more manageable, and work on our life skills to make life a bit easier. 
    I think we can enjoy life more when we can accept that life is a mixture of positives and negatives (for everyone - not just autistic people) and if we just constantly battle everything we only end up worn out and feeling hopeless. Accepting being autistic - and hopefully embracing it - leads to a more peaceful and happier life. 

Children
No Data